prolonged period!

By March 1, 2013 - 10:49am

i have been having a period for 29 days non stop and was put on the pill to control it. It is fresh blood coming out and is worse if i cough or sneeze. i am 42. The blood is really bright red as if i have cut myself and before this period i stop for 4 days and then bled for 31 days non stop, i am at the end of my thether, tried trananexamic and am on cerrazette, but the bleeding was before i started the pill. have pain on my right side and really bad back ache, doc says to just wait it out but feel i am running out of energy and blood, sure i will need a transfusion any ideas as to what is causing it, it just does not show any signs of letting up any ideas! please help!!!!!!

Hi silversun

Thank you for your post.I'm sorry you're going through this.

If you have been bleeding heavily for 60 days except for a 4 day break, I am wondering what exactly you are supposed to "wait out" according to your doctor.

I would immediately request another doctor or ask to see a reproductive specialist. This kind of bleeding is never normal unless you have given birth (I had 9 weeks of bleeding after every child). You should not be waiting anything out because the cause of your bleeding is unknown as is not a normal period. It makes me really annoyed to hear  that a doctor simply told you to just wait for it to stop when there is clearly an issue.

This kind of bleeding can cause anemia and other serious problems like infertility. You can read more here: http://www.empowher.com/sexual-well-being/content/female-reproductive-sy...

I encourage you to see a doctor with more knowledge and experience.Please keep us posted.