Hepatitis C

Hepatitis C Guide

Christine Jeffries

ask: Question about hep c risk

A few days ago I went to a sephora makeup store. One of the sales assistants sampled a lip gloss on me using extra clean applicator swabs that they provide. A few minutes later I passed by the same aisle and I saw a customer using that same lip gloss on her lips without using any extra applicator, instead using the original applicator which goes back in the lip gloss. Here's my worry, what if someone before me didn't use the clean extra applicators but used the actual applicator that comes with the tester gloss and put that back in. If this person was infected by HIV or hepatitis, am I at risk for catching it? I had a sore throat so I'm worried that they may have swabbed some of their blood and put that back inside to mix with the liquid, and I then smeared gloss with that blood on my lips. If it was contaminated with HIV or Hep C, could I have contracted it this way? If I am at risk for any diseases can you please tell me which ones and when and which tests to get to insure accurate results?

Anonymous

Welcome to EmpowHER.  The most common way to get hepatitis is by sharing needles and other equipment (such as cotton, spoons, and water) used to inject illegal drugs.  The virus can also enter the body through a break in the lining of the rectum, vagina, urethra, or mouth. 

Aside from the common cold and flu, you can get an infectious disease called mononucleosis also know as the kissing disease. You might want to see your doctor and explain your concerns and he might suggest blood work.

Here are some helpful links

http://www.empowher.com/node/21667

http://www.empowher.com/condition/hepatitis

Daisy