Is radiation therapy an option for colon cancer?

My husband has a cancerous polyps about 1.5 inches in diameter and a precancerous polyps that is less than 1 inch in diameter in his sigmoid colon. His Oncologist is recommending that he get surgery to remove a part or all of his sigmoid colon that is cancercous. This will require 3 - 5 days in the hospital and 2 days of being on a liquid diet before the sugery. I heard that radiation therapy can now be used for colon cancer? Is it true? Would it be a good option in my husband's case?

Hey. Never esteem anything as of advantage to you that will make you break your word or lose your self-respect. Help me! Help to find sites on the: Before investing money. I found only this - investing money while in college. Com making big money investing in foreclosures without cash or credit peter conti, making big money investing in real estate without tenants. News release the first book on how to make money investing in nanotechnology and other so called small technologies, titled nanotech fortunes, has been released by. :cool: Thanks in advance. Vasin from Portugal.

Dear Anon

Thank you for your question and we are so glad you found Empowher!

I'm sorry about your husband's diagnosis; I hope he responds well to treatment and is back to a healthy state quickly. Thanks for looking out for him.

Radiation is indeed an option for colon cancer; sometimes used in conjunction with chemotherapy, sometimes not. It depends on the kind of cancer a person has, what stage it's in, a persons age and other health issues they may have.

Surgery is almost always used for colon cancer and additionally other treatments are used, like chemo, radiation or a combination of both. Sometimes radiation is used before surgery to shrink the tumors before removal and it is used afterward to decrease the possibility of the cancer returning.

Only your husband and doctor can make the decision of what treatments to use. I do know of people who have used radiation (not chemo) in conjunction with surgery for colon cancer and are now cancer free. I also know of others who used different methods or combinations. Since each person - and their cancer - is a unique case, they base their decisions on their own personal stage and kind of cancer, as well as their health in general.

Please head to our colon cancer page for more information:

We also have a detailed explanation about radiation and how it works, side effects etc, on our radiation page. Please check it out here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/radiation-therapy

Again, thank you for your question - we wish you and your husband the very best. I take it that he is trying to avoid chemotherapy? I can't say I blame him, but it may be something he needs to look into as an option or he may be able to avoid it altogether. When is his surgery scheduled?

Thank you for the great information. I will speak with my husband's Oncologist again about the different treatment options. Currently, he is scheduled for sugery in two weeks. Thank you again for the helpful information.

Colon Cancer