Recently switched from one contraceptive pill to another and fearing pregnancy!

By January 18, 2015 - 11:54am

I was on Yaz pill for 6 years and for personal reasons I had to switch to another pill (Ovranette) with a higher dose. I switched to this pill nearly 2 weeks ago now and I was away for reasons I could not control for 3 days and I missed my new pill for 3 days in a row, pills 9, 10, and 11. I had unprotected intercourse after missing 2 pills as I did not realise at this stage that I had missed pills, now I don't know what I should do!
Should I be worried? Could I be pregnant? Does the pill work immediately after switching from another brand, as along with only starting this new pill I missed 3 in a row near the start in the first month?!

Hi taylor90

The protocol for missing three or more pills is to throw out the pack and start a fresh pack, as well as using a back up for 7-10 days. Check the leaflet in your packet to confirm this.

Since you may now be at risk for pregnancy, you can test in a couple of weeks to rule it out.

I have checked the leaflet in my pack and it does not say anything about throwing out the pack, all it says is directions on what to do if I miss one pill or if I miss two or more, that's it...

I was not sure of what to do so I just left the pills that I missed completely and continued on taking the rest as normal.

I have missed 3 pills in a row previously several times (months/years ago) and never ended up pregnant, so what are the chances now? Are they low?

HERWriter Guide (reply to taylor90j)

I would think your chances are low but just because pregnancy hasn't happened a few times before doesn't mean it can't now. It can take months for a healthy woman to get pregnant. Having the hormones in your system already probably helps but it's no guarantee.