Recovery from runner's knee

About four weeks ago, I caused a fair amount of trauma to my knee from playing frisbee. I took a bad move and felt something pop and I was in a lot of pain. For the first 2-3 days, I was limping and I could hardly bend my knee. It slowly got better in the next week or two but I still have a decent amount of pain when exercising. Being a cross country runner and since I injured the knee right before summer, I wasn't too worried about recovering since I wasn't in competition season. I didn't really start trying to recover until 7-10 days ago. I have been icing about 20 minutes 2-3 times a day and I am wearing a patella strap. I am still unable to fully bend my knee, and it still hurts when I run or I get up after sitting for a long time. I am beginning to get worried so do you think this is just a common case of runner's knee or something more serious? About how much longer should it take to recover?

Thank you!

We can't say how long recovery may take as we don't know what's wrong with your knee exactly and you are in pain four weeks later. This could signify your injury is worse than you think.

Your knees (as I am sure you know, being a competitive runner) is made up of bones, tendons, ligaments, muscles and cartilage. The knee can be complicated.

My advice to you is not to wait for healing anymore since you are still in pain, and see a doctor. While ligaments do take a long time to heal, better safe than sorry . If something is wrong and you start competing again on a still-injured knee, the consequences could be more serious.

Read more here: http://www.empowher.com/runner039s-knee/content/runners-knee-facts-symptoms

Runner's Knee