Right leg not walking right

By March 31, 2016 - 12:12pm

I have been having a problem with my right side, my right arm and fingers tingle and feel numb, has been about 4 months now. My right leg has no pain but for the last 6 month others have noticed that I now walk with a limp. I started noticing my leg lagging again no pain.My leg appears to be getting worse and seems to have a mind of its own. I have had MRI, Hip Xray, blood work etc. and am told I am in excellent health (57 Year old). Dr. can't seem to figure it out and wants me to go to physical therapy. The other day I was at the movie theater and when I stood up to leave, my right leg would now move, bend or anything. It took about 7 minutes for me to actually start walking again no pain what so ever, I have noticed I am able to only walk about a block and then my legs starts feeling very heavy and it seems like I have to force. I have just asked Dr. to refer me to Neurologist instead of Therapy, there is something worng and I feel it.

Hi LilliDi

I was thinking about seeing a neurologist when I was reading your post so I am glad to see you are getting a referral. I think your regular doctor might be a bit of of his/her depth here.

This kind of numbness can signal many things from nerve damage, or damage to your spinal cord, one form of that called peripheral neuropathy.

Peripheral neuropathy is damage to the peripheral nerves. These are the nerves that connect your spinal cord to the rest of your body.

Many diseases and conditions can cause peripheral neuropathy. The damage may occur due to:

Lack of oxygen

amage to the peripheral nerves often results in sensory (feeling) and motor (strength) symptoms in the:

Other parts of the body can also be affected. Symptoms depend on which nerves are involved. They can range from mild to severe.

Treatment may include:

Treatment for the Underlying Illness or Exposure
Treating the underlying illness can decrease or eliminate symptoms. For instance, if it is caused by diabetes, controlling blood sugar levels may help. In some cases, neuropathy caused by medications or toxins is completely reversed when these substances are stopped or avoided. Correction of vitamin B12 deficiency often improves symptoms.

Anon, physical therapy can also help - I'd go along with this until you know more. You need to work with a Board Certified Neuromuscular Neurologist to know why this is happening before treating it.

Please get that referral as soon as you can and let us know your progress.

The following article may help you, based on your symptoms: http://www.empowher.com/peripheral-neuropathy/content/conditions-result-numbness-tingling-pain-and-loss-balance

We wish you the very best,

Peripheral Neuropathy

Peripheral Neuropathy Guide