Risks involved the cysts on ovaries, my doctor wants me to have hysterectomy

By April 19, 2010 - 1:53pm

Hi I am new to this site and I am concerned about a cyst that I have over a year it is multiloculated cystic masses on right ovary 5.6 x 4.5 x 2.7 cm in maximal dimensions and of left 4.8 x 4.2 x 2.2 cm in maximal dimensions. I was sent to oncologist and had transvaginal and blood work done. Blood work came back normal and CA - 125 came back 16. The oncologist believes it's endometriosis and recommends to get them removed but does not need to immediately maybe monitor thru ultrasounds. My gyeno wants me to have hysterectomy, does not want to try to remove cysts only said it could be complicated. Any suggestions, I am 46 and not in any pain from cysts, I refuse to have this surgery what are risks. Why does he not want to try to remove cysts only? Any one's input is welcomed.

Dear Antoine

Thank you for your post and THANK YOU for thinking about this decision long and hard before making your final call.

I suppose only your doctors know the extent of your cysts but many women believe that cysts are not a reason for a hysterectomy. You need to ask him why he believes a hysterectomy is crucial. Personally I'd have to have reproductive organs in VERY serious condition before I'd have a hysterectomy. But for some women, it helps enormously.

You need to have your doctor qualify what he means by "removing cysts would be complicated". All surgeries are complicated, when you consider the risks. And all surgery carries a risk. Ask him what he means by this. Are the cysts in an area that's complicated? Is it their size? Their type? Is it simply easier to remove everything?

There are still doctors out there who remove a hysterectomy like they'd remove a hangnail. Your uterus is much more than a place to house a baby!

Please do as you are doing - meaning lots of research. Sit down and ask your doctor about the details of these "complications". He may have very good reasons but he needs to outline them all to you - this is your body and life, not his.

Here is a link that is a very busy thread, it's a bit heated but so is the subject and it'll give your both sides of real womens' views on the topic: http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/due-have-hysterectomy-am-scared-death-after-viewing-video-about-side-effects

Read more here about ovarian cysts:

Read all about Endometriosis here:

Tell me what you think! We look forward to helping you further!

Ovarian Cysts

Ovarian Cysts Guide