Sad and Hopeless

In the last 6 months or so, I have felt sad and hopeless all of the time. It is hard to get out of bed and do what I need to do every day. I feel as if I have no future and I cry all of the time. I try to talk to people about it, but they just say I am being ridiculous. I just don't even know what to do anymore. I am in school to become a psychologist, and they have strong encouraged us to avoid seeking help- too many of the people in our area are potential coworkers or supervisors. I am at my wits end and this weekend, I definitely thought of how things would be if I was no longer here. I just don't know what to do.

Thanks for your post and I am so sorry this depression has you in it's grip.

If you feel like committing suicide, please reach out to someone - anyone - immediately. You can also call the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-8255 or 911. Many people think about suicide on a daily basis - it's a common theme in depression. But as cliched as it sounds, it truly is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Whatever is wrong now WILL go away, I promise you. You just have to hold on.

I am really disturbed to hear you say that you are feeling like this and yet have been advised to not seek help due to possibly knowing the person who can help, due to the fact you are a student of psychology. I really hope that it was a fellow student who told you that and not a professor or mentor because it's an incredibly wrong and dangerous thing to say. Mental health professionals also face depression, anxiety etc and to say they should never get help is preposterous.

Please talk to someone immediately and get some help; the advice you have been given is absolutely wrong.

Can you think of what has gone on in the past 6 months? Do you know what has triggered all this? Please update us with more information and please seek help immediately in the meantime. Talking to us should be second to seeking real and live help - asap.

We hope to hear back from you and please remember there is help for you and more hope that you know right now.