ask: Seafood makes my vagina smell?

So this might seem like a weird problem but ever since I can remember when I eat seafood such as fish, scallions, shrimp, etc. It cause my vagina to have a fishy smell. Its always the next day after I eat the seafood and only lasts for that one day, then its back to its normal, odorless smell. Their is no change in discharge, its not thicker or abnormally colored, there is no burning or itching or any other symptoms. Is this normal? Could this be some weird allergic reaction? Thanks!

Anonymous

I too experience thee same effects after eating fish or shellfish. I tried drinking 100% pure cranberry juice (found at any health store and at Trader Joe's), and it worked right away!

Thank you to all eho offerred this advice.

Anonymous

Whoops! The condition is called Trimethylaminuria? (sorry for the misspelling before).

I am so thankful to have run across this helpful information. I will start the pills and try to locate cranberry juice and being careful not to pick up the cocktail juice. I'm guessing it won't have the same affect. When I ask my friends and family they looked and laugh like I was out of my mind. What's the name of a good soap you would recommend for me to try? I try to mix match soaps which seems to help some.

You are correct about not drinking the cocktail juice. You need the real thing preferable without added sugar. You should also be sure that the pills are pure, no fillers or additives. As far as soaps go, since this is something being produced by secretions soaps will only decrease the "scent de ocean" for a short period of time. One thing that will help while the cranberry is kicking in is a feminine powder. Vagasil makes a great one.

It's disheartening when people simply do not understand that this is a medical issue. Since this is a condition shared by all of the female members of my family I new that I wasn't crazy but the first doctor I asked about it sure seemed to think I was. I hope that the posts here not only help you to combat the wafting from below but also lets you know that you are not alone in this.

Anonymous

The symptoms of smelling fishy after eating fish is a condition called "Trimelthyaminuria". You can read details about this at https://www.genome.gov/11508983

Anonymous

Unfortunately, when I was a teenager this problem occurred and I didn't know what to do. Needless to sat, some very humiliating and hurtful comments were made by adults. I read a solution offered that said drink a full 8 oz. glass of 100% Cranberry Juice. I did and IT WORKS EVERYTIME!!!

How soon does cranberry juice help? Could it be used before or during eating the seafood in order to keep it from happening entirely?

I don't know how long it will take for the juice to help but the Cranberry pills take 24 to 48 hours at the recommended dosage. I should think by taking both the capsules and drinking juice you could speeds that up a bit. A am not aware of any adverse effects of cranberry at that concentration but of course I'm no expert, I can only attest to my personal experience. (see comment about cranberry pills below) I take the pills daily and do drink the juice for other health benefits when I feel a cold coming on. It has never caused me any problems. I hope this helps you deal with your difficulty and that you'll never have to deal with "eau de ocean" scent again!

Anonymous

I'm a little late to this thread but for anyone who might be looking for help I can provide a solution. Every female on my mothers side of the family suffers from this embarrassment. About a year ago my mother began taking cranberry pills for urinary track health. After having taken them for a short while she had a crab dinner. Oddly enough for the first time ever there was no olfactory offense emanating from “down below”. Well, she started eating seafood more often with no re-occurrence until she ran out of pills for a few days. She had a dinner of fish and shrimp, sure enough the noxious vapor had returned. Since then I have started taking the cranberry pills as well and I too have been blessedly free of the odor 'de ocean scent wafting upward from my nether regions. I truly hope that this information will be of help to someone.

Anonymous

It was very interesting to read these comments. I feel relieved that I am not the only one. I've noticed this is something that has got worse for me over the last couple of years. I now only eat salmon and tuna as I find that these have much less effect on the smell. If I do decide to eat white fish or shellfish occasionally then it's normally when my partner is away or I'm away!! Really annoying when you love fish so much!

How do you control your PMS?: