Q: 

Seafood makes my vagina smell?

By April 26, 2012 - 6:49am

So this might seem like a weird problem but ever since I can remember when I eat seafood such as fish, scallions, shrimp, etc. It cause my vagina to have a fishy smell. Its always the next day after I eat the seafood and only lasts for that one day, then its back to its normal, odorless smell. Their is no change in discharge, its not thicker or abnormally colored, there is no burning or itching or any other symptoms. Is this normal? Could this be some weird allergic reaction? Thanks!

Anonymous

If you drink lemon water during your fish dinner it won't happen. I found this trick about a year ago!!!

Anonymous

Happy I'm not the only one having this issue..i ate shark for the 1st time in a long time yesterday and woke up with a fishy smell down under..not to pungent but still there..thought it was a bv infection(not as strong though and no discharge) but this article has put my mind at ease. Thank you everyone.

Anonymous

Hello ladies I hope that you all are having a great day I know the secret to the fishy smell it is not that your body is having an allergic reaction it's just something that fish has inside of it dealing with Omega that causes you to have the Halibut smell the tilapia smell the cat smell or the Sea Bass Smell as recommendation for ladies that are dealing with this particular distress I recommend you eat pineapple with your fish pineapple helps to dilute the smell of it ipso facto change the smell of it completely to where it's not as strong or pertinent living in Jamaica a lot of the ladies there including myself growing up there being born there it helps too keep a woman's feminine area clear clean and under control I hope this helps you it can just be fresh pineapple or cooked pineapple whichever you're comfortable with put parsley in there boil with coconut water I hope this helps you and all of you ladies have a great day!!!! Should you have any further questions comments or concerns feel free to respond.

Anonymous

I am a vegetarian but once in a while I will eat fish. Typically, I eat snapper. I have eaten cod fish & ackee. I will also, on occasion, eat a BK fish sandwich, which I understand is tilapia. I have NEVER had this problem UNTIL today. All day, while up and out, I smelt like the ocean. I narrowed down the direction from whence the smell came. I was sickened at the disgusting fishy smell. I told my husband that I smelt EXACTLY like yesterday's dinner of Alaskan cod. I was so embarrassed at the scent, I pulled up a Google search bar in incognito mode and found this site. All I can say is 'wow'!!! Thank you for giving me clarity and also a self help treatment plan. Sheesh, who knew...

What is the treatment plan suggested?

Anonymous

You guys have no idea how happy I am to find that its not only me. I mean I know that it happens to my mom also and her mom before her BUT its nice to know that we are not just a weirdo family. So I was waiting at the bus stop on my way home from work when I read all of these comments, feeling crazy because I smelled like a barrel of fish. I knew that smell was all in my office and thank God I had lysol to spray smh. I am going to get some cranberry pills and see what happens. I will start to take them on friday and eat fish friday and Saturday hope it works because than I can eat fish during the week and not just on the weekends when I am planning to stay in... Thanks everyone.

Anonymous

Been there, done that. Read various online articles about the condition (trimethylaminuria). Found an article from the UK stating that taking approximately 1000 mg of cranberry pills per day will take care of the problem. I take 2 Target brand 300 mg pills every day and I haven't had a problem since. When I have forgotten them and eaten seafood? It showed up again. I would encourage anybody who has the problem to give it a shot.

Anonymous

What are you really asking? Look at a anatomy picture and it will show you all of the parts of a female parts.
What you may be asking why is your urine smell not your Vag.

Anonymous

I knew that it wasn't only me because my mom & God sister also have the same issue. What I didn't know is that it's an actual thing. Today is 04-20-2017 and I ate fish yesterday smfh. Guess who was at work today smelling like a freezer of fish sticks?

I decided to Google this because I take the bus and it's embarrassing as hell. I went in the gas station and got some cranberry Juice praying that it will work for tomorrow. for now I will act as if my head hurts and sit away from everyone.

Thank you so very much all. You all made this fishy gal feel so much better.

Anonymous

Fish odour syndrome, otherwise known as Trimethylaminuria, is an unusual metabolic condition which means you have difficulty breaking down and digesting certain compounds found in food. Most people’s bodies don’t have a problem breaking down timethylamine (TMA) and turning it into timethylamine oxide (TMAO) but for those that do the Trimethylamine is instead disposed through your sweat, breath and urine giving off a pungent fishy aroma. Unsurprisingly it can be a tad distracting and more than a little embarrassing and the smell tends to get worse around menstruation. However, there is help at hand for sufferers with a variety of antibiotics and probiotics available that can help ease the condition. Eating a diet low in choline also helps though can be tricky; choline is found in high amounts in eggs, wheat germ and certain meats but a doctor should be able to provide you with further information.