Q: 

Seafood makes my vagina smell?

By April 26, 2012 - 6:49am

So this might seem like a weird problem but ever since I can remember when I eat seafood such as fish, scallions, shrimp, etc. It cause my vagina to have a fishy smell. Its always the next day after I eat the seafood and only lasts for that one day, then its back to its normal, odorless smell. Their is no change in discharge, its not thicker or abnormally colored, there is no burning or itching or any other symptoms. Is this normal? Could this be some weird allergic reaction? Thanks!

Anonymous

JUST DRINK CRANBERRY JUICE

Anonymous

This past week I was on vacation in Massachusetts and of course living in a land locked state, you have to eat seafood on the coast. I don't normally eat a lot of fish and I happened to order a stuffed lobster with scallops and shrimp. Well next morning when I changed my tampon holy cow it was like sitting in the restaurant all over again. This had never happened before and this was the only thing I could pin point it on. I was super embarrassed and wondering if this was normal. I mean I've heard that you diet can somewhat effect the lady parts but not like this! Anyhow, I know the fish was the culprit because after I ate the left overs ( I couldn't resist) my urine also took on the odor. But, it's been about a day and it seems to be gone, so that's a relief. I'm glad this post exists and I'm not alone. Next coastal trip I'm trying the cranberry pills.

Anonymous

It's isn't your vagina making the smell, but instead your urine. I have the same issue.

Anonymous

I'm 49 and I have been havimg this problem for just 2 years now. Only with shellfish lobster,crab....etc. The smell is exactly the same as the shellfish horrible. There is no discharge just the smell of the shellfish I consumed. Thought it was just me!

Anonymous

Well, like all of you, I experience the exact response whenever indulging in seafood. I'm wondering if this is some sort of an allergic reaction. Here's why I have concluded that. Both of my sons are horribly allergic to seafood. Neither dad nor I had ever been allergic. At least that's what we thought. Until several years ago when I had to have an X-ray, where contrast dye was used. I stopped breathing and they couldn't understand why. I hadn't eaten prior to the test. So, the only thing introduced to my system was the dye. Contrast dye is made from some sort of octopus dye. So, now I'm labeled as allergic to seafood. As we reviewed my personal history several incidents were uncovered. I once used a lipstick that had omega 3 in its compound, and my lips became swollen. I also ate an omega 3 vitamin once and experienced breathing difficulty. After all of this, nothing happens when I eat any amount of seafood. But the allergy is there some how. My next step is to be officially tested for seafood allergy. I'll come back with my results. Until then, use the lemon juice before, during and after eating seafood.

Anonymous

I am 29 and have suffered with this for a few years but not with salmon for some reason but cod is the culprit for me

Anonymous

I learned about the 100% cranberry juice trick and it worked fine. I usually drink it with my meal. Recently, I had fish a couple of days and got my juice after the meal and it didn't work as well. Plus as a diabetic the juice is no good for me. So I came back searching again. Going try the pills and lemon juice. I hope it works!

This is a follow-up to my post. I am happy to say the lemon juice worked. I had a very tall glass of lemonade (real lemons) sweetened with Stevia (I am diabetic) and it worked just fine.I drank it along with my 2 pieces of fish and salad. I also squeezed lemon juice on my fish.

Anonymous

I'm 20 years old and I have been experiencing this every time I eat seafood for at least 3-4 years

Same here really! I'm 23, this has only started in the past 3 years! I'm gonna check out what's been said in the comments (cranberry pills) and see if that helps! Giving up fish would be the easiest option but I actually love eating it so I don't want to!