Seafood makes my vagina smell?

By AFMorgan1-1 April 26, 2012 - 6:49am

So this might seem like a weird problem but ever since I can remember when I eat seafood such as fish, scallions, shrimp, etc. It cause my vagina to have a fishy smell. Its always the next day after I eat the seafood and only lasts for that one day, then its back to its normal, odorless smell. Their is no change in discharge, its not thicker or abnormally colored, there is no burning or itching or any other symptoms. Is this normal? Could this be some weird allergic reaction? Thanks!

Anonymous

Hi.
I am a research physiologist. I had the "fishy smell" after sex. When I finally saw something referring to this is a women's magazine, as a symptom of chlamydia, I asked my gynecologist. He was an arrogant smart arse and made some comment like I was crazy. Going to a real gynecologist, I was tested for and treated for chlamydia. I'm wondering if the polyamines present in crab or lobster are similar to those in semen/sperm (spermidine). If this is not a natural process within the vagina, then is it associated with an undiagnosed vaginal infection? I discovered the problem when on a trip to Caribbean. Lobster dinner, next day couldn't stand myself coming on shore from scuba diving. Nothing like sitting around in a bathing suit and feeling like the local aquarium full of lobster or crab!!! Very embarrassing. Will have to try the cranberry juice as having birthday dinner at Red Lobster tonight. I know cranberry juice drops the pH of urine several points, and great for knocking down UTIs (also reduce sugar intake). MDs/ Biochemist females respond?

Anonymous

So like all of you I have experienced the same thing. After reading all the post I decided to give it a try. It worked people! Literally less than 24 hours!!. So here is the time table, I had seafood the night before and woke up with the smell. After work bought the pills and took one around 9pm. Next morning gone! Usually I have this unfortunate smell for at least a few days. But gone overnight! Now what I bought was Nature's Bounty, Triple Strength Cranberry. Fruit concentrate 25,200mg. Says this on the box. I purchased it from Walgreens during a bogo.
Everyone talked about cranberry but never said which one or whatever so there it is. Not sure if it will work for you the same but it worked for me.

Zu

The text below is my original posts regarding cranberry. I was to embarrassed to log in at the time but after seeing how many of you dear ladies share this olfactory offense I am no longer ashamed of my fish market syndrome. ;-) I can not tell you how happy I am that so many of you have found this! It is a difficult thing to speak of in real life and even most doctors treat you as if insanity is the most likely diagnoses. Had it not been for my mother I never would have discovered the cranberry cure so I give all credit to her. I hate that she had to suffer this silently for more than 50 years before stumbling onto this particular benefit of cranberry. It was for that reason that I made my original posts, I didn't want other women to hide in shame for something that was in no way their fault and is easily remedied.

I see that there have been a number of comments inquiring as to the effectiveness of the juice in contrast to the pills. Through the experiences of both my mother and myself the 100% pure juice is helpful but we have found the pills to be more so. Depending on your metabolism the juice may simply not be strong or fast enough. If you want to be completely confident then the pills are the most dependable. Like I said though, this all depends on personal metabolism and preferences.

I hope the every woman suffering from "eau de ocean" finds this site. We will be mistaken for fishermen no longer!!
_______________________________________________
My original posts:

I'm a little late to this thread but for anyone who might be looking for help I can provide a solution. Every female on my mothers side of the family suffers from this embarrassment. About a year ago my mother began taking cranberry pills for urinary track health. After having taken them for a short while she had a crab dinner. Oddly enough for the first time ever there was no olfactory offense emanating from “down below”. Well, she started eating seafood more often with no re-occurrence until she ran out of pills for a few days. She had a dinner of fish and shrimp, sure enough the noxious vapor had returned. Since then I have started taking the cranberry pills as well and I too have been blessedly free of the odor 'de ocean scent wafting upward from my nether regions. I truly hope that this information will be of help to someone.

I don't know how long it will take for the juice to help but the Cranberry pills take 24 to 48 hours at the recommended dosage. I should think by taking both the capsules and drinking juice you could speeds that up a bit. A am not aware of any adverse effects of cranberry at that concentration but of course I'm no expert, I can only attest to my personal experience. (see comment about cranberry pills below) I take the pills daily and do drink the juice for other health benefits when I feel a cold coming on. It has never caused me any problems. I hope this helps you deal with your difficulty and that you'll never have to deal with "eau de ocean" scent again!

Anonymous (reply to Zu)

I decided to google what was happening and found this!!! So grateful to find a solution. I'll give it a shot. I love seafood but eliminated it because of what was happening. So embarrassing!! But I'm going to stop by Walmart or Walgreens to see if they have these pills. Thank you for being open and honest in sharing! YAY!

Anonymous

where the answer?

Anonymous

Oh my god I thought I was the only one.
But I decided to Google it, I'm so glad I did. I thought that maybe I was having an allergic reaction. Thanks for the feedback. And thanks to the person who had the courage to ask first

Anonymous

Thank God there are answers!!! I noticed that when I was growing up this happened too but I didn't know what to do. I couldn't eat tuna or anything as an adult if I had plans on being intimate. This is a terrible thing and it makes being a female that much more difficult! So embarrassing! I am headed to the store now. This is ridiculous! I love seafood so now I need to have a nice seafood dinner and a bottle of cranberry juice on the side...LOL.

Anonymous

Thank you! I thought I was crazy as did my doctor and other people I asked about this problem!

Anonymous

I too experience thee same effects after eating fish or shellfish. I tried drinking 100% pure cranberry juice (found at any health store and at Trader Joe's), and it worked right away!

Thank you to all eho offerred this advice.

Anonymous

Whoops! The condition is called Trimethylaminuria? (sorry for the misspelling before).