ask: Seafood makes my vagina smell?

So this might seem like a weird problem but ever since I can remember when I eat seafood such as fish, scallions, shrimp, etc. It cause my vagina to have a fishy smell. Its always the next day after I eat the seafood and only lasts for that one day, then its back to its normal, odorless smell. Their is no change in discharge, its not thicker or abnormally colored, there is no burning or itching or any other symptoms. Is this normal? Could this be some weird allergic reaction? Thanks!

Anonymous

Unfortunately, when I was a teenager this problem occurred and I didn't know what to do. Needless to sat, some very humiliating and hurtful comments were made by adults. I read a solution offered that said drink a full 8 oz. glass of 100% Cranberry Juice. I did and IT WORKS EVERYTIME!!!

How soon does cranberry juice help? Could it be used before or during eating the seafood in order to keep it from happening entirely?

I don't know how long it will take for the juice to help but the Cranberry pills take 24 to 48 hours at the recommended dosage. I should think by taking both the capsules and drinking juice you could speeds that up a bit. A am not aware of any adverse effects of cranberry at that concentration but of course I'm no expert, I can only attest to my personal experience. (see comment about cranberry pills below) I take the pills daily and do drink the juice for other health benefits when I feel a cold coming on. It has never caused me any problems. I hope this helps you deal with your difficulty and that you'll never have to deal with "eau de ocean" scent again!

Anonymous

I'm a little late to this thread but for anyone who might be looking for help I can provide a solution. Every female on my mothers side of the family suffers from this embarrassment. About a year ago my mother began taking cranberry pills for urinary track health. After having taken them for a short while she had a crab dinner. Oddly enough for the first time ever there was no olfactory offense emanating from “down below”. Well, she started eating seafood more often with no re-occurrence until she ran out of pills for a few days. She had a dinner of fish and shrimp, sure enough the noxious vapor had returned. Since then I have started taking the cranberry pills as well and I too have been blessedly free of the odor 'de ocean scent wafting upward from my nether regions. I truly hope that this information will be of help to someone.

Anonymous

It was very interesting to read these comments. I feel relieved that I am not the only one. I've noticed this is something that has got worse for me over the last couple of years. I now only eat salmon and tuna as I find that these have much less effect on the smell. If I do decide to eat white fish or shellfish occasionally then it's normally when my partner is away or I'm away!! Really annoying when you love fish so much!

Anonymous

Im so glad im not the only one....I love fish but the next day it proves it dont love me...I hate that fishy smell..its worst if I eat fish and make love the same night...the smell is aweful..I may have to give up fish altogether

Anonymous

HELLO PEOPLE IF YOU ARE CELIBATE HOW DO YOU HAVE AN INFECTION? Now, I experienced this when I was a virgin. Especially, when I eat perch. Fresh salmon not as bad but fish is the worst. Some years ago I found out I was allergic to SHELLFISH!! I agree with the Dr who said it is a chemical imbalance and some people's body can't process fish. Mercury is in fish right along with all the omega and good fat.

Anonymous

ITS NOT REPEAT NOT ANY INFECTION , MY MUM AND HER SISTER HAD IT HER MUM HAD IT , EVERY TIME THEY HAD FISH , AND I HAVE IT AND MY DAUGHTER HAS IT , SO YOU PEOPLE STOP GOING ON ABOUT IT BEING A INFECTION, OK a Dr told me many years ago it was a chemical imbalance , the body couldnt digest/process the fish , I have found a chemical free way to help , there is a hand wash steel thing on the market to take away the smell from your hands of onions , No soap just a steel oval shape that you rub your hands with steel and the smell goes , Well you have it !!! just use it on your area no soap safe , Wash and keep for another time !! Ive found it works , give it a try , They not expensive to buy and dont wear out keep it in your make up bag , Go luck i know what its like

Anonymous

Agree I have same with prawns and white fish but not anything with tuna.after reading this I tried the lemon juice thing, and it worked hardly any odour. Read some where that charchoal helps balance the oils in the fish when goes in to your body.

Anonymous

Ok, i thought i was the only one having this issue. My husband made angel hair pasta with homemade clam sauce 2 nites ago. Last nite we had sex and all i cud smell afterward is a fishy smell. It was embarrassing. I know anytime i ingest any kind of seafood or even touch it i have this problem. So what i wud start doing is eating seafood when i have my period because then i know we dont have sex then so im safe. Lolol! One of u said u work around seafood but do not eat it. If i handle seafood or onions i get the smell of what i touch. Garlic, onions and seafood. I wud reccommend using gloves when handling seafood.

How do you control your PMS?: