Q: 

Seafood makes my vagina smell?

By April 26, 2012 - 6:49am

So this might seem like a weird problem but ever since I can remember when I eat seafood such as fish, scallions, shrimp, etc. It cause my vagina to have a fishy smell. Its always the next day after I eat the seafood and only lasts for that one day, then its back to its normal, odorless smell. Their is no change in discharge, its not thicker or abnormally colored, there is no burning or itching or any other symptoms. Is this normal? Could this be some weird allergic reaction? Thanks!

Anonymous

I knew that it wasn't only me because my mom & God sister also have the same issue. What I didn't know is that it's an actual thing. Today is 04-20-2017 and I ate fish yesterday smfh. Guess who was at work today smelling like a freezer of fish sticks?

I decided to Google this because I take the bus and it's embarrassing as hell. I went in the gas station and got some cranberry Juice praying that it will work for tomorrow. for now I will act as if my head hurts and sit away from everyone.

Thank you so very much all. You all made this fishy gal feel so much better.

Anonymous

Fish odour syndrome, otherwise known as Trimethylaminuria, is an unusual metabolic condition which means you have difficulty breaking down and digesting certain compounds found in food. Most people’s bodies don’t have a problem breaking down timethylamine (TMA) and turning it into timethylamine oxide (TMAO) but for those that do the Trimethylamine is instead disposed through your sweat, breath and urine giving off a pungent fishy aroma. Unsurprisingly it can be a tad distracting and more than a little embarrassing and the smell tends to get worse around menstruation. However, there is help at hand for sufferers with a variety of antibiotics and probiotics available that can help ease the condition. Eating a diet low in choline also helps though can be tricky; choline is found in high amounts in eggs, wheat germ and certain meats but a doctor should be able to provide you with further information.

Anonymous

HILARIOUS ... of course I had been killing the salmon and other fish and was wondering if that could/ would do that lol and of course it does....MAYBE serving fresh cranberries or homemade cranberry sauce with the fish will neutralize it....

Anonymous

So I am so very glad to find you all! This has happened to me every single time I eat fish or seafood! And it does go away in a day or 2. I like and eat more fish than any other protein and didn't want to give it up! Now I know that I am not alone, I can rest easy. Especially since I try my best to observe a healthy and active lifestyle!!

Every Friday in Lent I go out to get fish. Broiled is okay but fried fish, whew, can't stand my self for two days. I smell so fishy every time I pee I can't stand to be in the bathroom any longer than is absolutely necessary. I really smell fishy and not pleasant fishy. Like nasty fish. 2 days EVERY time.
Very strong. Worse than you ever smelled when you had your period.

Anonymous

I'm a guy and this happens to me as well. The problem is that it's all u can eat crab legs and I absolutely go to town on them. Then my dick smells like freaking fishy crab for the next 3 days. When it's really bad, even my sweat has a hint of crab smell to it. Anyway, now all you women know this is not only your problem but ours too. I didn't know about the cranberry juice thou. I'll have to try that next time I pig out on crab legs again.

Hey I missed the cranberry trick. What does it consist of?

Thanks

Drink cranberry juice or take the pills.. it even said put some in bath water... i also read white vinager and salt... or lemmon water... i like the lemmon water... it flushes the system faster

Anonymous

I new I was not the only one! Lol.. for me its shrimp or shell fish like crab and lobster. Its soo annoying. Damn it why dont men have issues like this. Im so sick of having a Vagina. Hahaha..

Anonymous

I am glad I'm not the only one with this problem! I told my husband about it the last time I ate fish and he thought I was crazy lol. I had fish last night and today I smell like Nemo and all his friends found their way into my drawers. I FOUND NEMO PEOPLE! Anywho..lol, I'm going to try the cranberry pills for sure. Thanks for the suggestion :)