Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

See below

By Anonymous July 11, 2016 - 11:03pm
Rate This

I am 57 years old, very very tired all the time, overweight to my usual size and cannot lose at all, push myself to the gym two times a week...taken a nap after...my joints ache, dont always sleep through the night, low to zero libido, depressed, and just generally listless all the time.....no interest in anything at all,
everything seems such an effort! I hate being this way....should I see an endocrinologist?
I take no medication for anything, panadol for headaches. I do have a goiter on my thyroid and it has been tested regularly....every two years...and appears to be causing no issues....in that it is not growing. I recently had blood tests to check my levels and my gp tells me my levels are all normal.....but I am just so tired and have no zest for life!!!!

My name is Cheryl and I live in Adelaide Australia. I am currently at my holiday home in Greece and think maybe I should visit some sort of doctor here....but who? AN endocrinologist? Or thyroid specialist?
Please tell me your thoughts.....thank you.
Or am I just getting old and this is normal???

Add a Comment1 Comments

HERWriter Guide

Hi Cheryl

Thank you for reaching out to EmpowHER with your concerns. I'm sorry to read you are living with such fatigue and discomfort.

You are going to have to start somewhere when looking for a doctor who can help. I think an endocrinologist is a good place to start. An Endo specializes in in all hormone issues including those that affect the thyroid and blood sugar.

Your blood sugar needs to be tested, as do your hormones. Are you in menopause yet? These female hormones should also be tested.

At 57 you should be in fine form - your symptoms are not signs of regular aging at your age, they are signs that there may be something wrong with your hormonal system.

If all this testing shows nothing, you may want to see a Rheumatologist to see if RA may be affecting you. He/she can also test you for other auto immune conditions.

Cheryl, we can just give you a guid to what may be wrong but you do need to get the diagnosis and treatment/healing process started. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.

Read more here: http://www.empowher.com/rheumatoid-arthritis/content/what-rheumatologist-dr-horwitz-video

and here: http://www.empowher.com/reproductive-system/content/when-should-woman-see-endocrinologist-dr-friedman-video


July 12, 2016 - 5:10am
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.


Get Email Updates

Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!