Muscle Injuries

Muscle Injuries Guide

ask: Severe arm pain after a Depo-Provera injection?

By deedee

I had a Depo-Provera injection 3 weeks ago and believe they hit a nerve when doing so. I've consulted many health care professionals already. I had severe pain for two weeks and while the pain level is subsiding a bit, new things are happening such as pins and needles in my hand and fingers, not being able to put my arm fully behind my back, muscle spasms, a weakened grip and magnified pain when I pinched my finger last night. I have had these shot for 9 years and never had a problem. I felt something different during the injection - I just remember it feeling like a bubble building under the skin, which I have never felt before. I have no redness, heat or infection. I am hoping the changing symptoms mean that it is starting to heal, but I'm not holding my breath based on information I have been researching. Anyone?

Anonymous

I had deposit injections about 11 years ago, for a period of about 3 years. In the past 12 months I've had lumps and itchiness on my arms where I had the injections. They tend to come and go. The last couple of months they have been more frequent. I've gone back on the pill too for last 6 months. How likely are these lumps to be related to the depo injections from all those years ago? Or should I be considering something else.

Maryann Gromisch RN Guide (reply to Anonymous)

It sounds like an allergic reaction. I wonder if anything about the injection has changed or are you reacting to something else. Have you mentioned this reaction to your physician?

Regards,

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

My cousins who's an acupuncturist suggested that its tissue damage from the deposit all those years ago. But it seems odd it coming out now. I will visit the doctor.

Anonymous

I have been on this needle for a year and 2 mths now..I have had the shot in both arms for three shot by my doctor..I have been having pain in my sholders ever since..I have had the shots by my sister(nurse)in my hips ever since and no pain..the past couple of weeks i have been having a funny feeling in my heart..i have have notice acne since if taken it and loss of hair ..and I just read a bunch of people say they have been having the same thing..so im thinking about stopping..the doctors are not telling me why my sholders are hurting..all she said was to get it in my hip from now on..funny

You need to contact the person who gave you the injection. Was it given by your physician, a nurse in your physician's office or by a health care professional at a health clinic? This individual would know the dose of the injection. Let him or her know that you are having pain in your arm following the injection.

Anonymous

hello... i have received my shot just this morning and i was wandering is it safe if they injected me 3ml instead of 1ml? i am really bothered by this because my arm really hurts.

Hi Deedee,
Have your reported your reaction to the to the personnel at the site where the you received the injection? Was the injection given in the deltoid muscle of your arm? The deltoid intramuscular injection site is the upper part of your arm--from the shoulder joint down to about 4 inches above the elbow. Disadvantages to this site are the size of the muscle mass is small in relation to other IM injection sites. The deltoid intramuscular injection is closely associated with nerves and vascular structures; this leaves a small margin for error with departure from the correct IM injection site. A deltoid intramuscular injection is not an apt site for repeated or large-volume injections exceeding 1.0ml. I think the dose of Depo-Provera is 1 ml. Nerve damage can take up to six months to heal.