Pregnancy Guide

ask: Severe cramping and severe back pain after sex?

By AlysMommy

Yesterday I had pretty sure braxton hick contractions all day. This morning my husband and I had sex and after that I have had severe cramping and back pain since! I started having more braxton hicks today too. Is this normal? My doctors office is closed and really don't want to go to the hospital unless it is really needed. I already tried taking an warm shower and been drinking water. I also took some tylenol and it didn't help. I can't get anything done with feeling like this and hurting! Help?! Thank you in advance!

AlysMommy

Cervix is still closed. I am having some contractions though. Thank you.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to AlysMommy)

Oh good!

Thanks for the update. I hope baby stays in until she's ready!

AlysMommy

I am 30 weeks pregnant and will be 31 on Monday. This is also my third pregnancy. The first one resulted in miscarriage and then I had my daughter and had the HELLP syndrome with her at the end of the pregnancy and had to be induced because of it. I didn't have sex yesterday or a few days before that when I was having all of those. It was hard to keep up with them because right after one the baby would start going crazy. But I had sex this morning and then the cramping started. I had the back pain yesterday too. So I might just go get checked out just to be sure. Thank you.

Hi again!

I think it's a good idea to get checked out too. It's probably nothing but better be safe.

Let us know an update when you can!

Hi Aly'sMommy

Thanks for your post.

How far along are you? Braxtons Hicks can be pretty strong for some women as they approach the end of their pregnancy. Also, back pain is common in pregnancy and this could have been due to the sex positions you used.

But you may also be in actual labor. How far apart are these contractions? If you are within a few weeks of your due date, it's better to be safe that sorry and call Triage at your hospital. They can take a good look at you to make sure it's not actual labor and send you home, if not. This will at least ease your mind. Contractions that are painful like these and going continually for 24 hours should be evalated.

Please keep us posted!

Pregnant? Where do you get your information and support about pregnancy and delivery? :