Severe Menstrual Cramps!

By October 27, 2011 - 10:13pm

For about three years I have had severe menstrual cramps. It gets so bad that I can't even walk or stand up. I usually throw up, get chills, diarrhea, nausea, dizziness. It's usually a left side pain during my period, mainly through my back and lower abdomen.

I have been to my doctor and all they have done is prescribed some pain medication, but not even the strongest that he can prescribe helps.
I was told to see a gynecologist but I am only 17 and I am not sexually active. My family believes in staying intact until marriage and I don't think I'm too comfortable letting someone down below.

If anyone has experienced what I have been going through, please comment. I really need the help right now.

I have and am dealing with the pain right now.. my lower left side of my back hurts... and I feel like throwing up and I do feel dizzy.. and I am on my period... I have really bad cramps.. and back pain tha I could hardly handle.. and it just sucks.. I M in so much pain.. :'( the bad thing to is I have school tomorrow...

I had the exact same problems for about 8 or 9 years. I used to have to leave work and school early every period and would get picked on because of it. My mom has Endometriosis so I'm thinking it has to be due to that. The one thing I've found that is a MAJOR life saver is Midol Complete. If I take 2-4 doses of that its almost as if I'm not even on my period, its wonderful! Try that out :) you can get it from almost any Dollar store for about $5!

I'm feeling the exact same at the moment iv been googling some answers and cum across this page. I'm in severe pain never had such a bad period. left side abdominal pain is getting worser im unable to sleep. Been on dhiorea all day.I'v had an ectopic pregnancy 3 years ago and had one fallopian tube taken out my only worry since then has been of having the second fallopian tube rupture in my body as iv heard stories about this. Before all this I was under gynocologist investigation and was told I was fine but after my ectopic pregnency and 8 years of trying for a baby im sure today I have some sort of a fertility problem:-(

You need to take Aleve or Advil(ibuprofen), but not together. Years ago Dr. Penny Budoff discovered that Ibuprofen manages the pain of menstual cramps. She wrote a book called "No more menstrual cramps, and other good news", that practically saved my life. I, too, had severe cramps, nausea, and pain throughout my body. My Mother was so kind and told me that they reminded her of the type of pain she had during labor. You need to talk with your doctor, and your Mom.

Thank you for your reply. Aleve and Advil never used to work. I've tried every pain killer in the books. At one point I had to take sleeping pills so that I get away from the pain.
After finding a good doctor that would listen, we did some tests and found out that I have bilateral ovarian cysts and endometriosis. I'm treating it with birth control and feel a lot better now

Hi Tracy17, I understand you pain. I had it and now I treat women and girls with it. You may not have thought about Acupuncture and Chinese herbs for menstrual cramps but it can completely change your life and stop the misery you are experiencing ever month.

Hi trinity17

Thanks for your post and welcome!

I understand cultural and religious norms when it comes to virginity and not getting pelvic exams but if you are in a lot of pain, you may find that you have no alternative.

I want you to know that the hymen is absolutely no indication of being a virgin. That is something that was thought of for hundreds - maybe even thousands of years but now we know better. There is nothing wrong with waiting for marriage to have sex but not at the risk of you health.

You may be dealing with something called Endometriosis. Symptoms of this include:

■Cramping and pelvic pain (especially just before and during menstrual bleeding)
■Pain during sex
■Heavy periods
■Low back pain
■Pain during bowel movements or urination

For lots more, read here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/endometriosis

You may also have what's called Uterine Fibroids. Here are some symptoms:
■Pelvic pain
■Feeling of pelvic pressure
■Heavy menstrual bleeding
■Clots in menstrual flow
■Long periods
■Bleeding between periods
■Increased cramping during periods
■Pain during sex
■Frequent need to urinate
■Enlarged uterus, giving the appearance of pregnancy
■Low back or leg pain
■Infertility by blocking the fallopian tubes

- you can read more about this here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/uterine-fibroids

Trinity, again, consider talking to you parents about seeing a doctor. It will certainly not affect your status as a virgin. You should not have to deal with all this pain! Will you let us know an update when you can?

I wish you the best!

Dysmenorrhea Guide