Sex with my husband.

By May 27, 2011 - 2:46am

I had polio at 1 yr. 3 mo. old. I'm in a wheelchair now and have been for 3 years now. I'm 60 now. I used to wear a long leg brace on my left leg to get around. I've been with my husband for 13 years. I Have 3 grown sons (not by my husband) that were born c-section because of the polio. I had a hysterectomy 31 years ago because of uterine cancer. Since my marriage I have become diabetic, have post polio syndrom, spinal stenosis, had surgery for vaginal cancer, Had a herat attack, high blood pressure, and a few other things. My husband wants sex almost every night, but I've lost all interest in sex. What can I do to get the urge back, I don't like telling my husband I don't feel like it, it makes him feel like I don't love him anymore. Any suggestions? Thank you, Resa!

Hi Resa

Firstly, after all you have been through, I'm sure your husband understands that you have a low libido due to things that are out of your control and that your love for him stems from how you feel about him and is not through sex.

However, I do understand where he is coming from and I'm sure you would like to see your libido increase too - you have a good 30 years of life ahead of you!

First, make sure you have a clean bill of health to resume sexual activity. Also check into what medications you are on that may be affecting your sexual desire.

I'd like to take a look at the many articles we have on how women can boost their libidos. You can start here (and this video also discusses the product Zestra which is something you might want to look into) :

Also, while menopause in mentioned a lot, take a look at our extensive low libido page here: http://www.empowher.com/low-libido

Besides sex, are you close with your husband? Do you kiss and cuddle and sleep in the same bed? Do you still show him lots of affection, even if it's non-sexual?