Should Children Be Given Cholesterol Drugs?

By July 7, 2008 - 8:20am

In the midst of high gas prices, salmonella outbreaks, and a presidential election comes a health story about pediatricians recommending cholesterol drugs for 8-year-old kids.

Some experts say the first line of defense for kids when battling obesity should be exercise and nutritional counseling. Others say that plan of action may not be aggressive enough. What do you think?

I hope I do not simplify too much by saying that if over-eating and lack of exercise got kids into this kind of trouble, surely regular exercise and healthy eating can get them out?

I am so reticent to give any kind of medications to my children so something like cholesterol medication to a child as young as 8 doesn't sit well with me at all. There are surely more natural ways to bring a child back to a healthy body and mind than pills?

I find it troubling that the doctors recommend 1% milk to be given to babies at the age of 1, if they are showing signs of obesity. Showing signs at age 1? What are we feeding our 1-year olds that would cause obesity?

I seem to have more questions that answers, unfortunately. I went to a school with 600 girls and there were 100 girls who graduated with me. 3 were over-weight, 97 were average to slim. Mostly slim. How did we know 3 were over-weight? Because it was so rare. This is in the late 1980s. Now in Ireland, they too are averaging a 20% obesity rate. In 15 years? This is not genetic, this is behavioral and until the behavior stops, I don't think any pill in the world will help.

High Cholesterol

High Cholesterol Guide