Should every girl get the HPV shot?

By HERWriter Blogger July 23, 2014 - 12:03am

I never had the HPV shot when I was younger. I'm 21 right now, so I'm not sure if I'm too old to get it now. Should I get the HPV shot or am I too old? Should every girl get the shot for HPV?

Hi Erin

The HPV shot guards against certain strains of HPV that can cause cervical cancer. 

It is a personal choice whether to get it or not. HPV is transmitted during unprotected sex but since it is a skin-to-skin infection, condoms do not always protect a woman, but they certainly do help. 

Currently, the HPV shot is for women a girls from ages 13-26, so you are well within the range - it is definitely something to consider. 

Talk to your doctor about your options (and don't forget to come back for all your doses, this is not a one dose vaccine!) and also ask about side effects. 

Read more on our great HPV Advocacy Sheet here: 

Again, this is a personal decision that you, as an adult, needs to make. I think it's an option you should seriously consider! 

Has this helped?

Human papillomavirus (HPV)