Should I be concerned about an inflamed fluid filled lymph node on my breast?

I recently had an ultrasound and the findings were inflamed fluid filled lymph node on left breast and follow up ultrasound in 4-6 weeks. I've never heard of this and am having a hard time finding much about swollen lymph nodes located on the breast. I had a malignant tumor removed 25 years ago so I get worried at any lump found. My grandma and aunt both had breast cancer. The lump I currently have is 1" in diameter and is red with scaly skin on the surface. It is located near the aeriola. I have also had a swollen neck lymph node on the same side for 5 months. Should I push for a biopsy or give it time if it's an infection to clear up? I'm very concerned because of my history.

Hi Chrystine

Thank you for reaching out to EmpowHER with your concerns. I can understand why you have these concerns with your health history.

It is important to have any type of lymph node swelling evaluated but most of the time it is our bodies fighting off an infection and nothing to worry about. So odds are that this is what's going on.

But I also understand you wanting answers sooner rather than later. I see no harm in requesting a biopsy if that would make you feel better. While your next ultrasound is only weeks away, that can feel like forever when you have these concerns. My advice is to put a call into your doctor with this request.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Breast Infection