Should I be experiencing pregnancy symptoms if I'm two weeks late? I have irregular cycle but I should of gotten my period by now. Havent taken a test

Hi Pam
Thank you for responding I really appreciate, I had to go get a pregnancy test to find out and it was negative, brings me down I've been trying to get pregnant for some months. Now I'm really freaking out. I don't know what to think my cycles are normally anywhere from 35 to 45 days should I wait a few more days and test again?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hi Anon -

You can test again if that helps you emotionally, but you will most likely get the same results.

You probably already know this, but in case not, your best chance of conception is during ovulation, which is during the second and third weeks of the menstrual cycle. While a normal cycle is considered anywhere between 21 and 35 days, the average is about 28 days.

Ovulation (the time when a woman is fertile) occurs mid month, this averages to day 14 every month, give or take several days before and after. If a woman has unprotected sex around this time, her chances of getting pregnant are greater. 

Having irregular cycles could be having an impact on your ability to get pregnant. Since you've been trying for some time now you may want to see your ob/gyn to get some additional help and support. Hang in there!

Hi Anonymous and thanks for your question.

The symptoms for pregnancy and for PMS ( pre-menstrual syndrome that comes before just before a period) can be very similar and make things confusing. If you are concerned about possibly being pregnant then you may want to take a home pregnancy test. Otherwise you will just have to wait for your period to arrive. If this turns into an ongoing pattern then it would be best to see your healthcare professional to determine if an underlying condition is the cause.

Hope that helps,