Should I be taking a preworkout?

By June 24, 2014 - 7:41pm

I love to exercise both in the morning and at night but sometimes I'm so exhausted the thought of working out seems daunting.

What are the pros and cons of a preworkout? 

Hi Kelly

Firstly, if working out both morning and night is exhausting you, I would rethink your activity level. 60 to 90 minutes per day is fantastic for anyone and you should enjoy working out, rather than thinking it's a chore. You also raise your risk of injury . Just some food for thought. 

Preworkouts are sometimes used by athletes, bodybuilders and the like to enhance their strength and longevity when working out for a long period. 

These are often in the form of shakes and bars that are high in protein, carbs, fiber and vitamins or you can make a healthy smoothie or eat plain, skinned chicken. 

What they will do is give you more energy and you'll be able to workout longer so they certainly sound like a good idea! 

There are no cons to a preworkout but bear in mind to eat a full hour before a workout so you don't feel too full and keep the meal pretty light. 

Here is a fantastic article that will help:

Good luck with your routine, I bet you're fit as a fiddle!