should I have both ovaries removed>

By March 14, 2011 - 9:40pm

Am scheduled for hysterectomy next month for cramping pelvic pain. I am 56 and menopausal since 50. I also have right ovarian pain (could be muscular but 50% chance it is the ovary) My doctor wants to remove both ovaries and I am wondering why - there is no problem with it. I do have strong family history of breast cancer and I know there is decreased risk in doing this but then what do you do about hormone replacement (because of the breast cancer history). Am so confused and have read so much info on internet my head is spinning. Does anyone have any experience or answers to these questions/problems. I only have a month to figure this all out and am getting quite nervous not having it all settled

Hi gsp2

Firstly, a woman with a personal history of breast cancer should never use HRT. This is not necessarily the case for someone with a family history.

A hysterectomy is a very serious thing. Is it really necessary, do you think? How bad is your pain?

Your doctor probably wants to remove both your ovaries simply to ensure if the pain is caused by your ovaries, you'll be out of pain. However, many doctors never think about the patient's well-being or the effects that a hysterectomy can cause. Body parts should not be removed just....because a surgeon "is in there anyway". I've actually been told that!

The best advice I can give you is to think about postponing your surgery for now since you are completely confused about your options or why you are getting all this done in the first place. This surgery is not urgent so to have a four week countdown to make these decisions is very stressful.

You need a consultation with your doctor to understand exactly what is being done and why. And what's really necessary. You can't make an informed decision unless you do.

Can you call and ask for a meeting with your doctor? Please don't do something unless you fully understand why you're doing it. I hope to hear back from you-