Should I put sunscreen on my hair to protect it?

By June 30, 2014 - 4:53pm

The sun dries out your skin but what about your hair? Could you use sunscreen to protect it?

Hi Ali

Yes, you should absolutely use sunscreen for your hair! 

However, don't use the same sunscreen you use on your body. There are many hair sunscreens on the market (Aveda has a good one, it's a bit pricey at $30/bottle but may last all summer!) so use one that is specific to hair. 

These sunscreens protect yellowing/brassiness of hair and dryness. I am a natural blonde who goes much blonder in summer so the only downside for me is that I won't get those natural highlights! However, I have to compensate by using an oil soak for my hair. Coconut oil works wonders.

Many of these products (like the Aveeda one) use mostly natural products.

You can find them in grocery stores or your hair salon.

Beauty Guide