Should I remove an ovary?

By December 4, 2010 - 6:22am

I'm only 20 years old, I had a 10 cm cyst on my left ovary that was surgically removed almost 3 months ago, a month after my surgery I went back to my gyne to have an ultrasound and found out that i have a 6x7 cyst on my right ovary. She started me on birth control pills that have been driving me insane!! I have abnormal mood swings, I've gained almost 5 kilos and I can barely sleep. I'm not sure if it's because I'm stressed or if it's the symptoms of the birth control. Also, I've been feeling a lot of pain coming from my left ovary, and I'm worried another cyst has formed there. I have another appointment with my gyne in a month, but I've been thinking lately about removing an ovary. I'm not married and I don't have children, and I'm worried if cysts keep appearing that my gyne would suggest to remove both ovaries. I don't know what to do, I'd love to have children in the future. Do you think there's another solution? Gyne's in the country I'm living in aren't top notch so if you have any suggestions please let me know :)

Hi again this kavita deonarine I am dued for another examination at my gynacologiest

Hi they my name is kavita Deonarine I am twentyfive years old. I had a bleeding problem so I went to my gynaecologiest and he told me that I have a ovary cyst on my right side. My gynaecologiest gave me Lindynette birthcontrol .I went back after a month for another examination.They told me that I was pregnant and now I have a three year old son.

Hi again, Gisele and you're welcome!

The most common group of women to have ovarian cysts are women in child-bearing years, so roughly 18-40 years of age, give or take. So you are in that group.

And some women are more prone to cysts than others. There is no known reason why this is but one thing I would suggest to you is to get tested for PCOS (polycystic-ovarian-syndrome) as this is something that may be possibly going on:

Let me know what you think!

Hi Gisele

Thanks for your post and welcome!

I'm sorry you are dealing with cysts, that can be very difficult and painful. These cysts are not uncommon and can be very troubling if not removed. Removal is not always necessary, however.

You are right to be reticent about ovary removal, especially if you see children in your future. Don't let anyone talk you into ovary removal unless it's absolutely necessary. Of course, you can still be get pregnant with one ovary

We have a wealth of information on EmpowHER about ovarian cysts:

Treatment depends on:

* Age
* Menstrual status
* Size and type of cyst
* Symptoms

The main types of treatment are:

Wait and See
The doctor waits a few months to see if the cyst goes away on its own.

Birth Control Pills
If you have a functional cyst, your doctor may prescribe birth control pills . The pills may prevent other cysts from developing during the "wait and see" period. If you get cysts often, birth control pills decrease the chance of new ones forming.

Pain Medication
If your cyst is causing a lot of discomfort, your doctor may prescribe pain medication.

Laparoscopic Surgery
Pelvic laparoscopy may be recommended to remove a cyst if it:

* Grows larger or reaches a size greater than two inches
* Has some solid material in it, or other features
* Causes persistent or worsening symptoms
* Lasts longer than two or three menstrual cycles
* Disrupts blood flow

If the cyst is not cancerous, often just the cyst can be removed. However, in some cases, your whole ovary may need to be removed. If the cyst is cancerous, you may have both ovaries and uterus removed. This requires an open surgical procedure .

You can read a lot more about ovarian cysts on our Ovarian Cyst page and we also have a lot of articles.

Have you thought about trying a different birth control pill to see if that works better?

Also, was the previous cyst you had cancerous? What was your doctor's impression of the kind of cyst you had?

No it wasn't cancerous, it was a hemorrhagic cyst. My gyne barely talks to me about anything because in this country the doctor talks to the parents if you're under the age of 21. My parents think it's best if I don't worry myself over this so they don't share much to spare me from getting scared. Thank you so much for your response it means a lot.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Gisele)

Hi Gisele

Thanks for your update and I'm very sorry a women under the age of 21 is treated like a child and doctors consult the parents, rather than the young woman herself! If you are between the age of 18-21, that's a bit ridiculous, don't you think?

How old are you, Gisele?

If you are in pain and feel like you may have another cyst (which may indeed be the case) then you need to be heard and taken seriously. Please make sure your parents know the extent of things. If you had a cyst before, you should certainly be listened to you.

Please talk to them and ask for an appointment to be set up. Will you let me know how it goes, Gisele?

I'm 20 years old, and yes I had a cyst removed 3 months ago, and found out another one appeared on my right a month after surgery, but now im having pain of both ovaries.. I asked my brother to make an appointment at his clinic for a second opinion with another gyne, hopefully sometime this week. I'll let you know how it goes :)
And yes, it is a bit ridiculous in this country but I'm guessing it's the law. I wanted to ask, is it common for women my age to have regular cysts larger than 6 cm's?
Thank you so much for support it means alot Susan.

Ovarian Cysts

Ovarian Cysts Guide