Should I see a doctor if I have had pain in my index finger for almost a week now?

By Anonymous April 22, 2010 - 12:30pm

I have been having problems with my index finger on my left hand. The whole finger hurts and goes up through my knuckles in my hand and the palm around my finger. I can't bend my finger all the way like before without it hurting and it really hurts to grip anything like can of soda, or doorknobs and I also can't make a strong fist without the pain in my hand/finger. The pain is getting worse so I only use the four other fingers I have without trying to bump my sore index finger.

Dear Anon

Thanks for your question and welcome! Your hand/finger injury sounds very painful.

You may have injured it somehow and not realized it at the time - do you play sports or use use any kind of equipment or do anything where you could damage your hand or finger? You may also have a fracture or break - is there any swelling?

If this has been going on for a week (or more than a week by now), your finger is still unable to function and you are still in pain, it's definitely time to see a health care provider so that your hand can be seen to. And please think back over the past 7-10 days and think of anything that happened that may have caused this; it'll help your doctor.

I hope you have a speedy recovery. I bet you never know how much you use your index finger on your left hand until it no longer functions or is painful.

Will you update us?