Should I seek medical help???

By August 5, 2013 - 11:50am

I've just discovered through diligent research on my part that I have a nasty, strange rash from eating shiitake mushrooms... I read an article on your site and the tips from the readers, and have no doubt. I've looked at other sites and found photos of this odd rash that match mine. I had eaten Asian food two days prior to this rash, and had the SAME IDENTICAL rash 6 weeks ago after eating at this restaurant. So I called the chef... he confirmed that there were indeed shiitaki mushrooms in both dishes that I had eaten... The rash itches horribly but benedryl doesn't seem to help. I have long whip like streaks all over my body. Rash is everywhere, but concentrated in my scalp, neck and around my chest. I've put on a camphor based gel for the itching that helps for a couple hours.. I read that closing of the throat and swelling of the tongue can happen... do I need to go to a doctor or emergency room with this? It's day two and seems worse than my last bout which lasted a week. Will it get worse?

Hi Aubrie

Thanks for your post.

It seems like you have a nasty allergy to these kinds of mushrooms.

Don't take food allergies lightly - it's advisable for you to see a medical professional as soon as you can - allergies that can restrict breathing can be deadly. If you can't see your doctor, see someone at urgent care or the ER.

Please keep us posted-

Allergies Guide