Bones & Joints

Bones & Joints Guide

ask: Should I start taking Bisphosphonates? Calculating fracture risk using FRAX

I turned 58 years, in December 2010. I have been using an estrogen patch, and taking prometrium for about 5 years. In November I stopped using the patch and taking prometrium. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis in 2005, when I had a DEXA scan. My last DEXA scan one month ago showed a continued decline in bone mass: Spine T-Score (-3.4), Femoral Neck (-2.7), Total Hip (-3.3). I have only lost 1 inch in height -- currently I am 5'9" and weigh 175 lbs. I have been diagnosed with hypercalcuria and take hydrochlorithyizide for this condition. I shattered my wrist two years ago, but I do not know it this is because of osteoporosis because I fell from a a step onto a cement sidewalk and my wrist absorbed much of the force of my body. I have read a lot of scary things about bisphosphonates and hesitate to take these medications unless my risk is extremely high. I have read that one should not take bisphosphonates longer than 5 years and since I am only 58 now perhaps I should consider going back on Hormone Replacement Therapy, although HRT did not stop my bone loss completely. I am concerned about the association of ostenecrosis and femur fracture with bisphosphonates. Nine years ago a shattered my femur and wonder if this bisphosponates would put me at a higher risk for another femur fracture.

In addition, I have a question about the fracture risk calculation tool FRAX. When calculating risk previous fractures increases risk. I shattered my wrist two years ago, but it was because of the trauma of falling on concrete. Does this fracture put me at increased risk for osteoporotic fracture? Second, secondary osteoporosis is also a considered in the FRAX calculation. Is hypercalcuria a secondary cause of osteoporosis?

Thank you,
Christine Sydnor

Christine Jeffries

Hi Christine,
Thank you for your question and for finding EmpowHER. One doctor who posted on EmpowHER in 2008 stated about biophosphates, "These are BAD drugs that actually make the bones weaker not stronger, and they should be banned by the FDA." Here is the whole response from Dr. Jeffrey Dach, MD, to the question similar to yours:
ASK: Fosamax and Femur Fractures
Here are some reasons for hypercalciuria: Causes for hypercalciuria
And finally, here are suggested treatments for osteoporosis (it's important that you work with your doctor to find the right treatment program that works for you): Osteoporosis Treatments
Good luck, and let us know how you are doing.

Who do you trust for making healthy living/lifestyle choices? :