Should kids be using sanitizer?

By June 30, 2014 - 10:40am

I have observed that kids who use sanitizer frequently fall sick more easily in an unclean environment. Does over use of sanitizer prevent building up of their immune system?

Hi Carrie

Have your noticed this from your own kids? Or did you read a study? If you did, let us know the link, I'd love it read it as I have heard that we are sanitizing our kids into sickness! 

Using hand sanitizer is a good idea. It help to clean the hands and helps prevent the spread of germs that are spread from human contact. But it will only kill a limited number of harmful germs.

For real cleaning, nothing beats lots of soap and hot water - that is what you need to encourage, rather than these sanitizers. Sanitizers won't help at all from airborne illnesses. But sanitizers are safe to use - just don't depend on them for real cleaning. They're ok in a pinch and are certainly better than nothing. 

Over using sanitizer will not hurt a child's immune system in terms of it's effectiveness - it's not really effective enough! But it shouldn't be overused, as I said above. Old fashioned hand washing is the much better option. 

Has this helped you?

Parenting Guide