Healthy Eating

ask: Should kids eat Activia?

By GauguinFan

I'm wondering if kids (under 5) can or should eat the yogurt Activia? It seems very healthy and promotes digestive health but I'm not sure if small (er) kids can eat it.

Thanks!

Anonymous

My son is three and has been eating Activia every other day since I was not sure about the intake for children. I found that it has kept his bowels regular without straining as in the past. I have since read the manufacturers recommendation of one container per day for persons over 3 years. I will still stay with the every other day system since it works for him. Yes it works for me too but I eat it everyday.

Trying to be wise mom

Anonymous

My 2 year old daughter gobbled up Activia this morning for breakfast and has had diarrhea all day afterwards. 5 BMs and counting of very runny stool. I've just thrown out all of the rest of the Activia and will stick to regular yogurt from now on.

Rosa Cabrera RN (reply to Anonymous)

Bifidus Regularis is the marketing name of the exclusive probiotic culture in Activia, scientifically known as Bifidobacterium lactis DN-173 010. Bifidus Regularis has been shown to survive passage through the digestive system, arriving at the large intestine as a live culture in sufficient numbers for Activia to have its beneficial effects. Bifidus Regularis is found in large quantities in Activia, and remains stable throughout the product shelf life. http://www.activia.us.com/activia-benefits/faqs

Probiotics are safe for children. However, if your daughter is already regular and doesn't need the help-- I would take the advice of Dr. Susan and purchase a more natural yogurt for children. 

You can try the BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Apple sauce, and Toast) if she is still having runny stools. I hope your daughter gets better soon!

Rosa

Dr. Susan

While probiotics can be very helpful for children (the good bacteria that is supplemented in Activia) I would look for a more natural brand. Activia does contain High Fructose Corn Syrup, which I would avoid at all costs. Another option may be YoPlus by Yoplait...it's free of corn syrup and still contains the probiotics as well as some additional fiber.

Dr.Susan
http://www.lakeshorewellnesscenter.com

Anonymous (reply to Dr. Susan)

Instead of relying on yogurt (my 2 1/2 old gets picky) for those beneficial bacteria I give my kids a probiotic supplement that is made just for kids and comes in a powder form. I just add it to their favorite drinks or sprinkle it in their food. Its called iFlora for kids.

alysiak

According to Dannon (the parent company), Activia is suitable for children three and older. I really wanted to find a review by a non-marketing-centric organization, and not rely on the manufacturer, but this is what I could find: FAQs.

Hope this helps.

Do you use coconut oil?: