ask: Should kids eat Activia?

By GauguinFan August 15, 2008 - 1:43pm

I'm wondering if kids (under 5) can or should eat the yogurt Activia? It seems very healthy and promotes digestive health but I'm not sure if small (er) kids can eat it.

Can we give home made low fat curd to children above five year old.

My son is three and has been eating Activia every other day since I was not sure about the intake for children. I found that it has kept his bowels regular without straining as in the past. I have since read the manufacturers recommendation of one container per day for persons over 3 years. I will still stay with the every other day system since it works for him. Yes it works for me too but I eat it everyday.

Trying to be wise mom

My 2 year old daughter gobbled up Activia this morning for breakfast and has had diarrhea all day afterwards. 5 BMs and counting of very runny stool. I've just thrown out all of the rest of the Activia and will stick to regular yogurt from now on.

There was really no need to throw out perfecrly good yogurt. I understand you panicked. However, the reason for your daughter's diarrhea was the simple fact that this type of yogurt is inappropriate for her little digestive system. A 3 and 4 y/o would tolerate this a little better as this type of yogurt is best consumed by people over 3 years of age. I gave this to my 4 y/o nephew all the time and he loved it. It did not bother him. He enjoys the plain vanilla flavor.

Rosa Cabrera RN (reply to Anonymous)

Bifidus Regularis is the marketing name of the exclusive probiotic culture in Activia, scientifically known as Bifidobacterium lactis DN-173 010. Bifidus Regularis has been shown to survive passage through the digestive system, arriving at the large intestine as a live culture in sufficient numbers for Activia to have its beneficial effects. Bifidus Regularis is found in large quantities in Activia, and remains stable throughout the product shelf life.

Probiotics are safe for children. However, if your daughter is already regular and doesn't need the help-- I would take the advice of Dr. Susan and purchase a more natural yogurt for children. 

You can try the BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Apple sauce, and Toast) if she is still having runny stools. I hope your daughter gets better soon!

Dr. Susan

While probiotics can be very helpful for children (the good bacteria that is supplemented in Activia) I would look for a more natural brand. Activia does contain High Fructose Corn Syrup, which I would avoid at all costs. Another option may be YoPlus by's free of corn syrup and still contains the probiotics as well as some additional fiber.

Anonymous (reply to Dr. Susan)

Instead of relying on yogurt (my 2 1/2 old gets picky) for those beneficial bacteria I give my kids a probiotic supplement that is made just for kids and comes in a powder form. I just add it to their favorite drinks or sprinkle it in their food. Its called iFlora for kids.

According to Dannon (the parent company), Activia is suitable for children three and older. I really wanted to find a review by a non-marketing-centric organization, and not rely on the manufacturer, but this is what I could find: FAQs.

Hope this helps.

Healthy Eating

Do you use coconut oil?: