Should my husband and I use a condom for my protection?

By June 6, 2012 - 12:49am

Thanks in advance for your help. I've been monogamously married for 9 year and was (at. Age 41) just found to be hr hpv + and have severe displasia. (my previous pap was fine 18 months earlier). Is it inaccurate to assume that my husband and I have, and will continue, to pass this virus back and forth? And being such, should we use a condom for now on?

Also, I do not fit any of the risk factors for getting severe displasia, except maybe not the greatest nutrition (although, I am slim and exercise and I don't eat fast food, I also don't eat a pound of raw broccoli daily either). I plan to take. Avoid based vitamin now and dim, is there anything else you would recommend? Is there something my husband can do to lessen our chances of transfer, short of wearing condom (that was the whole point of his visectomy, after all).

Lastly, is it unusual to suddenly have severe dysplasia after 10 years of negative PAPS? How likely is it that it takes so long for hpv type 16 to come out of dormancy? (yes, this is a trust issue- a natural response, I think?) And, can exercise be the kind of stress that brings it out?

Condoms and spermacides are still the most effective protection from HPV and other STD's. However, Like I mentioned in the previous post.  HPV can infect areas that are not covered by a condom - so condoms may not fully protect against HPV.

It should be kept in mind that while the risk of transmitting the virus is highest when there are visible warts, transmission can be spread when no outward signs of HPV are present. Another thing to keep in mind is that HPV can lay dormant for years. Even in long-term monogamous relationships, genital warts or cervical changes can occur without an obvious infectious event. Because of this, in the presence of warts or cervical changes men and women should be screened for HPV even when no recent transmission risk can be identified.

Hope this helps

Hi Espintheheart ,

Welcome to EmpowHER.  HPV is passed on through genital contact, most often during vaginal and anal sex. HPV may also be passed on during oral sex and genital-to-genital contact. HPV can be passed on between straight and same-sex partners even when the infected partner has no signs or symptoms. 

A person can have HPV even if years have passed since he or she had sexual contact with an infected person. Most infected persons do not realize they are infected or that they are passing the virus on to a sex partner. It is also possible to get more than one type of HPV.

Condoms may also lower the risk of developing HPV, such as genital warts and cervical cancer. But HPV can infect areas that are not covered by a condom - so condoms may not fully protect against HPV.

Here are some resources for you

Thanks, but, I don't know if you read my question. Have monogamous couples had difficulties clearing the virus since they are constantly passing it back and forth and if so, would use of condoms be the only way to prevent this problem? Thanks.

Human papillomavirus (HPV)