Cancer

Cancer Guide

ask: signs of lung cancer?

what are the early signs of lung cancer? Could you ask your Dr to run cancer test?

Anonymous

Hi, I'm Anjana and I'm 36 years old. I have since 2 weeks now each morning experiencing at first blood in sputum, and now it is pink to quite dark brown.
I'm also having some pain (discomfort) in the chest and back. Pain in the chest after work out, and rapid breathing as well. I'm coughing now since more than a week. After coughing and that pink or brown sputum comes out, I feel like a hot sensation in my lungs, and at times an icy sensation mostly at rest.
Could you please guide me, and is it lung cancer or something else...
Thanks

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Hi Anjana

Thanks for your post.

Some of your symptoms could be linked to lung cancer but also to other conditions like problems with the stomach or esophagus. Whatever it is, you need to see a doctor immediately.

Please keep us posted,

Anjana (reply to Susan Cody)

i'm bleeding from nose as well. just had bleeding this morning, and there was blood in my sputum, red coloured. I'm really confused.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anjana)

Hi Anjana

I understand your confusion because you don't know what is wrong. This is why you need to go and see a doctor as soon as possible. We cannot advise you on what it is here, as you need to be examined.

If you think you may have lung cancer - or any kind of lung condition- please contact your doctor straight away.

For signs of lung cancer and for tests and diagnosis:

Symptoms

If you have any of these do not assume it is due to lung cancer. These symptoms may be caused by other conditions. Tell your doctor if you have any of these:

• A cough that doesn't go away and worsens over time
  • Constant chest pain
  • Coughing up blood
  • Shortness of breath, wheezing, or hoarseness
  • Repeated problems with pneumonia or bronchitis
  • Swelling of the neck and face
  • Loss of appetite or weight loss
  • Fatigue

Diagnosis

The doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history. A physical exam will be done. The doctor will also ask about:

• Smoking history
  • Exposure to environmental and occupational substances
  • Family history of cancer

Tests may include:

• Chest x-ray—a test that uses radiation to take a picture of structures inside the body, especially bones
  • Sputum cytology—a test that examines of a sample of mucus from the lungs
  • Spiral CT—a special type of x-ray of the lungs
  • Biopsy—removal of a sample of lung tissue to be tested for cancer cells. Methods include:
    • Bronchoscopy—a thin, lighted tube inserted into the mouth or nose and through the windpipe to look into the breathing passages; cells or tissue samples are collected
    • Needle aspiration—a needle inserted through the chest into the tumor to remove a sample of tissue
    • Thoracentesis—use of a needle to remove a sample of the fluid around the lungs to check for cancer cells
    • Thoracotomy—surgery to open the chest and examine lung tissue.
    For lots more information, please click here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/lung-cancer. I hope this helps and good luck! Susan

Have you ever participated in a clinical trial?: