Sinuses on my tailbone

By Anonymous December 15, 2015 - 5:28pm

I was told today that I have a sinus issue on my tail bone. Beside the sinuses is an infection, similar to a boil. My doctor put me on antibiotics and is sending me to a surgeon to have the sinuses surgically removed. What are the downside to having this done. I'm currently on chemo for reoccurring breast cancer.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this issue as well as breast cancer treatment - that's a lot for one person to handle. I hope you have a lot of support around you.

It sounds like you have what's called a pilonidal sinus which can be quite painful. This is a cyst that, as you said, grows on the tailbone, often caused by ingrown hairs. All patients are put on antibiotics if they are infected - this sounds the case for you.

Surgery is done usually under local unaesthetic, where the surgeon will remove the contents of the boil and then stitch you back up again. You should be fully healed within two months (unfortunately it can take this long) and your doctor will explain the aftercare needed.

There are no serious risks to the surgery, other than the potential complications that all people may have with the local anesthesia (which is far safer than a general anesthesia) like pain at the injection site or an allergy, which is generally rare. There is always a risk of post-surgery infection so you need to make sure your wounds are properly clean and tended to - this will all be explained to you.

Make sure all the risks are properly explained to you by the surgeon conducting the procedure. He or she is your best source.

We have further information on this kind of cyst here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/pilonidal-cyst

Good luck with your surgery and we wish you a speedy recovery with your breast cancer.

Thank you so much for your response. I'm loaded up with health issues just going to add this to my list. I have Raynauds Syndrome, Arthritis,
just being diagnosed with Fibramialga, Neuropathy of both my feet, Asmtha. This is the 3rd time I've been on chemo, started in 2009, came back 2012 and started chemo this February and I'm about to have my 16th round of chemo next week. I smile every day and thank God it's a good day no matter what hits me. Thanks again.

You are an example of the attitudes we all should have. I wish you the best with everything and please stay in touch with us. We're here for any other questions you may have or just to talk.

Pilonidal Cyst