Skipped active pills and went straight on inactive pills!

By October 8, 2014 - 1:54am

I need some help determining whether my pills proctecting me. I hadn't had a period for over 6months as I skipped them using my pill which I know isn't good. My doctor had me go straight onto taking my inactive white sugar pills instead of the active yellow ones. I'm on the pill ESTELLE-35 ED. So I was a week off starting my white inactive pills. I was meant to take a Saturday yellow active pill but I went straight onto the Saturday white inactive pill so I basically skipped 7 active pills but I took white inactive pills instead to bring on my periods a week earlier. I'm trying to figure out whether this will effect the effectiveness of the pill? I'm I protected? Please help!

Thank you so much this really helped! The inactive pills defiantly did bring my period.
So just so I fully understand... I wasn't protected for the 7 inactive pills because I missed those 7 active pills?
No chemist has been able to answer me so thank you so so much!!!

HERWriter Guide (reply to LooLoo2492)

You were protected if you never stopped the Pill and the routine of the Pill. If you were off birth control and restarting it then you would not have been protected. 

Did your doc advise you to go on the inactive pills so that you could start getting your breakthrough (aka period) again on a regular basis? It's kind of a fallacy that not bleeding is bad for you, it isn't. Sports players (swimmers, tennis players) never get periods.  But some people disagree on this and there aren't really long term studies out because full period elimination pills are relatively new. Some studies would need to be 30 years long to be valid. 

Some doctors think the extra hormones for those 7 days may not be good for the body. They worry about the estrogen/bone density loss connection. 

Other doctors think period elimation is just fine. 

The most important thing is what YOU think and if you prefer going back to the 21 day active/7 day active regime is right for you, then do it!

Hi Lou Lou

I think your doctor was trying to start your period while on the inactive pills, as you said. Did it start? If so, then after the 7 days, you should have started your active pack and then after 21 days of active pills, you'd stop for 7 days. You didn't actually HAVE to take the inactive pills since they are just sugar pills but most people take them because they want to stay used to taking a pill at the same time every day. 

You would not have been protected during the first 7 days of inactive pills - you would have to use condoms or other birth control. You would be protected once you started the active pills. 

I hope this helps!