Sleep paralysis

By September 7, 2011 - 1:20pm

I've experienced sleep paralysis since I was about 13. What causes this? I've asked the doctors and they kind of just brush off the question.
Is it normal and what can be done about it? Is it anxiety related?

HI there!

I think we may have helped you out on this topic before, you can find the thread here where I gave a lot of information about this disorder: http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/do-you-have-any-information-sleep-paralysis

Since this is a disorder, it would not be classified as "normal". And I'm sorry your doctors are brushing you off like that - that's not right.

Have you received a proper diagnosis? If so, I suggest you go back to the same doctor or clinic in order to talk to him/her about this.

And yes, anxiety does have an impact with this sleep disorder. Take a look at our Sleep Disorder section here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/sleep-disorders/definition

If you are still being affected by this, I suggest you make an appointment with your doctor straight away.

Please let us know how it goes!

thank you!

That previous post was not mine, but that you so much for the link.
The only proper diagnosis I've received is "sleep paralysis" but i have never had blood work done for it or had my thyroids checked or anything.
There is a sleep disorder clinic where I go to the doctor as well.

Thanks again!

Sleep Disorders

Sleep Disorders Guide