Small Ovaries

By January 25, 2010 - 6:25pm

My husband and I have had a difficult time conceiving baby #2. We recently met with an RE who was fantastic from the beginning. We were told to call back and set up a sonohystogram for some time between day 6-11 of my cycle. The first thought our doctor had was that there may still be some tissue in my uterus from my previous miscarriage 1 year ago. We found out that my uterus and fallopian tubes are healthy and look great. The doctor then checked my ovaries and was a bit concerned because he said that they were very small. I am 27 years old and he could only see 3 good eggs in my left ovary and 2 in my right. He said this was very low, but since it was day 8 the eggs were a bit large and could be blocking his view of others possibly. I guess it's best to check on day 3 of a woman's cycle for that. He asked me if I had been tested for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome which I have not yet, but I'm wondering what could be the reasons for having small ovaries. We're going to meet with our regular RE in 3 days, but it is really going to bother me because I am extremely confused. I was not prepared for this. I did have a blood test done to check my hormones and we should hear about that at our next appointment. My main question is why at 27 years of age would my ovaries be small? What are some reasons for having small ovaries? I hope my question makes sense and I would appreciate any feedback.

I am 31 years old but only have 3 follikles. I did undergo a chemotherapy at the age of 15 but doctors were telling me that I would not have problems to conceive. I expected it would be on the lower side. But not that low. I was completly shattered. I will see the doctor again and discuss possible treatments. But it is looking quiet bad.

Please friends answer me pls iam sona im the guest please see my comment and reply me

Friends ihave a problem please suggest me what I have to do now.my age is 23 I recently had laparoscopy(one month ago) and I have hypothyroid also .doctor said that my two ovaries are one is shrieked and another one is very small .so my question is if overies are small periods will come or not ?and one more question is can I get a chance of pregnancy pls answer me....friends..

Only your doctors will be able to tell you about your chances of pregnancy, based on your reproductive health. If your doctor cannot answer you, you need to be referred to a fertility specialist who can do a full evaluation. Your question, unfortunately, can only be asked by a medical professional who is familiar with your medical history and can perform any tests on you if necessary. 

We wish you the best,

It's been a long time since I've updated so I thought I would share that now, almost 6 months after our diagnosis, we have decided to go ahead and move forward to IVF using donor eggs. This decision has not been made lightly, and afer giving it our all for 6 months with our own eggs, we've decided that having a baby is more important than passing on my genes.

My husband and I were recently approved for this thing called a Miracle Fund, which will pay for half of our total cycle costs. This is a huge relief financially for us and it's very exciting to think that we are that much closer to moving on with IVF. We still have to meet with an infertility psychologist at the end of August and once she gives our Dr. the thumbs up that we are emotionally ready, we will begin the donor selection process. We have decided to choose a donor through the clinic's anonymous donor pool.

I will continue to update in the future and I hope that hearing my story will help others who are struggling with infertility to know that they are not alone.

HERWriter Guide (reply to kristeng)

What a positive update! Congratulations on taking this big step (and I'm sure it's a scary step, too). I'm so happy for you that a Miracle Fund will take over half the costs - since IVF is very expensive. What a relief for you! How did you get referred to them and what made them decide to help you? This information could help others in the same situation!

We hope for another, really POSITIVE (yeah, I know you get it!) update for you within the next year or so!

Thanks for continuing your story with us!

Thank you Susan. We are very excited and nervous at the same time. I really feel that this may work and it's funny, because back when I was just getting tested and had no idea what our diagnosis was, a lady I work with had told me about the Miracle Fund. Her neighbor had been approved for this fund and now has twin boys that are two years old. I never thought I would need this information, but held onto it just in case. I'm so relieved that we learned about this MF because an IVF cycle using donor eggs would cost us $20,000. Now, it will cost us $10,000.

The money comes from anonymous donors and is for couples who have been told that IVF is their only option, and it is for patients at the University of Utah only. I'm sure that there are things like the Miracle Fund for other clinics as well, it really helps to research it as much as possible.

Thank you for the update. I am sorry that the prognosis was grim-- but there is ALWAYS hope that science is wrong and our bodies can do miraculous things sometimes. Do not give up on your own eggs-- I am so glad your doctor is willing to try with your eggs with aggressive treatment.

Please continue to update us with your progress!

Just an update on my diagnosis. My bloodwork came back and my fsh level was 15 and my amh level was 7 I think. Our doctor gave us a 5% chance of conceiving using fertility drugs w/intra-uterine inseminations and only a 1-3% chance using IVF. He said based on my age, that my eggs should still be pretty good quality, but it will be difficult to conceive. I have diminished ovarian reserve. I guess the amh and fsh blood tests are more accurate than what the ultrasound had shown. Our best chance of conceiving is IVF using donor eggs. This was heartbreaking to hear. I think I would be more accepting of the situation if I was in my 40's and had waited to have children, but I'm not even in my 30's yet. My ovaries are working the same as a 45 year old woman's ovaries. Our doctor doesn't want us to give up on my own eggs, but he just wanted to prepare me for this possible reality. We're going to be very aggressive for the next 5 months and if we don't conceive by then, we may look into using donor eggs. We're trying to make the decision whether donor eggs or adoption is the right decision for us. I'm not giving up on us conceiving with my eggs, but I am preparing myself for the very likely possibility that we may have to go an alternative route to complete our family. Right now I'm mourning for the potential loss of passing on my own genes to my child, but if we choose donor eggs, my husband can still pass on his genes. That way the child would still genetically be connected to my husband and son and would still biologically be mine. It's all so confusing right now since it's still new information.

My husband and I went to our day 3 ultrasound to check my ovaries and the number of follicles. Today my doctor found 7 follies in my left ovary and at least 4 in my right. I guess the last time we did the ultrasound was on day 8 and some of my follicles were already larger which were probably blocking others at that time. This news today is very encouraging and he said based on our tests it looks like i'm in the low normal range for egg count and that my egg quality has more to do with my age and should be good. Basically my egg count is a bit low for my age, but he believes that we have a very high chance of conceiving. I start my first dose of clomid in two days and will be taking 100 mg from days 5-9 and we will go back on day 13 for another ultrasound to see how well my body responds to the drug. He originally was going to give me 50 mg doses, but decided that he wanted to give us the best possible chance this month. After this first month he'll get a better idea of the proper dosage. I know that we chose the best doctor for us as a couple and I am confident that he will do everything he can to help us succeed with minimal cost. I'll be sure to give an update if we find out any more, but for now I am going to relax and hope for the best :)