So i am pregnant and i got a few questions!!!

By Anonymous February 8, 2010 - 12:09pm

My Name is Jessica.
so i found out 2 weeks ago that i am pregnant! i am now 8 weeks along and i havn't got sick at all. In the morning i will wake up feeling as if i am starving, it will happen to me in the middle of the night to. Is it normal not to get moring sickness or sick at all? is there a possibitlity of me still getting sick? i mean it's not lime i want that feeling, but i am concerned that i am not, everyone just says that i am one of the lucky ones that have not go sick "yet". so should i not worry about it? and also My Fiance' is pretty afraid to have sex, he thinks it will harm the fetus in some way, but i keep telling him as long as i am comfortable, then we have nothing to worry about, and the fact that my pregnancy is going well, so should he be worried? Also, is there and other good excersises that will help me maintain my weight and not go over. other then walking everyday & be on a balanced diet? I am 150 and 5'6" + 1/2 and i don't want to gain a crap load of weight that will be hard to get off. Am i at a healthy weight for my heigth? and as far along as i am in my Pregancy? Please let me know!
Thank you!

Hi Jessica

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Firstly, let me reassure you that sex in pregnancy is fine - right up to the end, unless you have a condition that requires abstinence. This is uncommon and right now this shouldn't be an issue for you. If anything should happen to preclude sex, your doctor will let you know - but it's not a worry you need have now. We're often (both men and women) a little leery of sex in pregnancy but in in general, it's perfectly fine to carry on!

Morning sickness is quite common but there are many women who feel no illness at all. All women are different and react differently. I know it's hard but don't listen to anyone who fills you with their ideas about YOUR pregnancy! Since we are all unique, so are our pregnancies.

At 5'6" and 150lbs you weight is ok; you are in between the recommended numbers for your weight/height ratio (http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/) - the only thing you need to focus on is a well balanced diet and you can exercise as usual. You should not be gaining weight already - a woman should only gaine 2-4 pounds in her first trimester. The second trimester is when you will see your size changing and the scales too. It's actually lovely and very exciting!

Pregnancy does not mean "eating for two" - a healthy woman does not normally need a lot more calories in pregnancy although bear in mind that building a human being is hard work and you may feel more hungry at times. Personally I think it's ok to splurge a little on occasion when pregnant, but "on occasion" doesn't mean every day! One comfort meal a week should not hurt, if the rest of your diet is very healthy and balanced.
With exercise, weight lifting and other types of exercise may not be a good idea - ask you health care provider about this. Do not use hot tubs or saunas as they raise your body temperature to a degree that is not good for baby.

Do you swim? I highly recommend it! It's low impact and exercises your whole body. I swam 40 laps a day with my first, until I hit 9 months. I felt great!

There are also yoga and pilates classes specially for pregnant women - I think it's a good idea to check those out!

With regard to gaining weight, the recommended weight gain is between 25 and 35 pounds. Don't stress if you gain 40 lbs but it's better to keep weight gain under that.

It's a good idea to borrow the book What to Expect when You're Expecting - it's on sale everywhere if you'd prefer your own copy or you can buy second hand. It's a pretty good manual for a first time mom. It covers every single week of pregnancy.
And last - enjoy your pregnancy; it's a perfectly normal thing that happens to most women in their lifetime. Don't over-analyze too much (I know that's hard!), keep all your appointments with your health care provider and eat well and exercise.

We wish you a very healthy and happy 9 months!