ask: Something like a cord in my vagina

Ever since I first got my period at 14, I have sometimes have problems with tampons seeming to get 'caught' in my vagina. I have figured out that there's a cord-like piece of flesh that stretches across my vagina that the tampon gets stuck on. I am not a virgin, and my hymen definitely broke the first time I had intercourse (there was a lot of blood) but I still occasionally have this problem. It's extremely painful and I have no idea what the 'cord' is or how to get rid of it.

I also have a second question: Sometimes when I have sex, there seems to be a wall in my vagina that blocks the penis from going very deep, and I can feel a strong and painful pressure. This doesn't always happen, but that could just be that I get too caught up to notice or penetration is at a different angle. Is this normal? What's going on?

Anonymous

Hi I am a 17 year old who has had her period for 4 years I have been using tampons for 2. I have that same issue I have yet to go see a gynecologist but I frequently stay using tamping the u by Kotex regular are good brands don't leave it in for more than 3 hours because then that's how it gets stuck! When it does get stuck lift one leg up on something and get a mirror and slide the cord away from the tanpon if you already know you have this automatically be very gentile when taking out the tampon! My one wort is that yes I am a virgin so I am pretty scared as to what happens when I first have sex does that get in the way?

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

This tissue may get in the way.
A visit to a GYN can have this removed for you quite easily.

Anonymous

Speaking as a mother to those girls who are scared or didn't get the response they expected or would want from their mother, we may not know what you mean. I have 5 kids, 4 of them girls and 3 on periods. One put a tampon in for first time last night without telling me. It got stuck and she did text me from bathroom but wouldn't let me help and just would get mad at me for "not helping" but wouldn't let me. I told her after 15 hrs that a trip to the dr would have to happen. I even enlisted sister help to see if collectively we could figure it out but she wouldn't let anyone in and got mad. Everyone pretty much told her that it wasn't actually stuck just that it would hurt as it was too big and dry. She finally added to her "no it is stuck" that it was stuck on skin and not come out. Her sisters and I kinda acted like the one girl's mom did, although she never saw since she was in bathroom. But we didn't know what she meant. We thought she just didn't know anything type deal. Then I thought of hymen and thankfully came across this site. She just got it out herself! But please explain more to your mom and use terms as she may have no idea what you mean. But she does care, and let her help!!

Anonymous

I have this same problem since I can remember . After I lost my virginity I still had that string, but during sex my boyfriend somehow ripped it in half. We never thought it was abnormal until I confided in my sister and she made a weird face. I am going to go to the gynecologist this week to see what is going on because I keep bleeding from it.

Anonymous

I had just started using tampons, I'm 14 and when I took my latest one out it hurt really bad I started crying lol. But the next day I checked everything out with a mirror and there is something hanging out of my vaginal opening and I think it's because of the tampon, I'm also a virgin so idk its scaring me

Anonymous

I'm also 14 and started when I was 13, I have the same problem where the tanpon gets stuck. I'm just glad that I'm not the only one ;)) I gave up using tampons!

I'm 11 and just started my period. I wAnted to go swimming, so I put in a tampon. I got it stuck on this cord like thing and I currently can't get it out. Can I cut the little cord thing?

NOOOOO Do not cut it! You will leave the rest of the tampon in you! I'm 11 also by the way, 12 in September.. But I do know you should NOT cut the string!

Try using a smaller tampon ^ the pearl ones work really well. If they get stuck means its too big and isnt absorbing enough so it feels dry and painful.and gets stuck when pulling out

Don't forget that a gynecologist can get rid of this tissue for you in just a few seconds. Just to let you know you do have options. 

How do you control your PMS?: