Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: Something like a cord in my vagina

Ever since I first got my period at 14, I have sometimes have problems with tampons seeming to get 'caught' in my vagina. I have figured out that there's a cord-like piece of flesh that stretches across my vagina that the tampon gets stuck on. I am not a virgin, and my hymen definitely broke the first time I had intercourse (there was a lot of blood) but I still occasionally have this problem. It's extremely painful and I have no idea what the 'cord' is or how to get rid of it.

I also have a second question: Sometimes when I have sex, there seems to be a wall in my vagina that blocks the penis from going very deep, and I can feel a strong and painful pressure. This doesn't always happen, but that could just be that I get too caught up to notice or penetration is at a different angle. Is this normal? What's going on?

Anonymous

I'm 14 and a virgin. My now exand and I did something's like fingering but no actual sex.. The same thing happens to me about the cord and the tampon getting stuck. QUite painful. I'm a set so I need to use tampons often. I told my mom and she just thought I'm stressed. I figured out how to remove the tampon from the cord because it gets noted sometimes but will this affect me later in life with sex and child birth? Answers!!!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

You need an evaluation by a doctor but here is the best answer we can give: 

"An article published by Yale investigators may very well explain the situation you have. It has to do with how the vagina is formed when you were an embryo and a fetus. At one point in development the entire vagina is a solid structure. Then cells grow in from the surface and hollow out the space that becomes the developed vagina. It turns out it is not unusual for the process to be incomplete. The Yale researchers found 8% of babies has a remnant strand or piece of tissue. The condition is entirely benign (i.e. nothing to worry about) but it should be corrected. Most often it doesn't show up until you start to have sex involving vaginal penetration. During sex response the vagina expands and that may be the only time when the remnant becomes a "blockage"-the rest of the time it may lie flat against the vaginal wall and not interfere with menstruation. It may not be apparent at the time of a pelvic examination unless the physician or nurse has been alerted to its' possibility. You should be examined and the remnant should be removed-that's a simple office procedure using a local anesthetic. Sometimes, if you know what you're dealing with, it may be possible for you and your partner to figure how to negotiate the remnant. But, it's probably best to have the situation corrected.

In reference to the tampon getting stuck: That's often the way the problem is first presented for medical help. The tampon gets past the strand going in but gets stuck behind it. The strands most often go from the upper wall of the vagina (or the hymen) to the lower (anterior to posterior). They are about 1/8 inch wide and about the same thickness."

Please make an appointment with your doctor! 

Anonymous

I'm 14 and I just started using tampons and they split open while inside me and it gets caught on my cord and it hurts and takes forever to get it off, and I'm to scared to tell my mom because she laughs at me a lot,What do I do??

I'm 14. The same thing happens to me and my mom just thought I'm stressed. I figured out how to remove the tampon from the cord because it gets noted sometimes but will this affect me later in life with sex and child birth? Answers!!!!

Thanks for your post.

This sounds like a very painful condition and I'm sorry your Mom is a bit immature.

You really do need to tell her that you need to see a doctor to have this corrected - that you are in pain.

If she doesn't help you, ask another adult you can trust.

Will you let us know how it goes?

I explained what was going in and she's going to get me a different brand of tampons to use and hopefully it works thanks for the advice!!

Anonymous

I have the cord like thing too, I am 17 years old. I went to my gynecologist yesterday and she said it should be removed. I am getting it taken care of tomorrow. It is a simple, in office procedure. She will use local anesthetic and then cut it off on both ends. She said the actual procedure will only take 5 minutes. I will not be able to work out for a couple days, my vagina will be sore and no sex for 2-3 weeks.
To other girls my age who are embarrassed or nervous to talk with their parents or doctors about it, don't be! I encourage anyone else with this problem to talk to your Gynecologist and get this simple fix!

Anonymous

I have this cord too, and I was so relieved and happy after 2 hours of research that I am not the only person who has it... I am a 14 year-old virgin and I never found someone to share it with because I am too embarassed to tell anybody. I have never used a tampon before and I found out I had this when my period came last year and I was soo scared... I don't want to live with this embarassment forever, how old do u need to be for this to fall out???

It will not "fall out" you'll have to get it removed. It is a simple procedure. Talk to a gynecologist about it. You don't need to be embarrassed about it! It won't help anything. Try talking to your mom or a close female figure in your life. Take care of your body!

Anonymous

My boyfriend and I just had sex and I have this pointy squishy lump inside of my vagina. And it hurts really bad. I've been on the internet for an hour trying to figure out exactly what it is.. help! PLEASE

How do you control your PMS?: