ask: Something like a cord in my vagina

Ever since I first got my period at 14, I have sometimes have problems with tampons seeming to get 'caught' in my vagina. I have figured out that there's a cord-like piece of flesh that stretches across my vagina that the tampon gets stuck on. I am not a virgin, and my hymen definitely broke the first time I had intercourse (there was a lot of blood) but I still occasionally have this problem. It's extremely painful and I have no idea what the 'cord' is or how to get rid of it.

I also have a second question: Sometimes when I have sex, there seems to be a wall in my vagina that blocks the penis from going very deep, and I can feel a strong and painful pressure. This doesn't always happen, but that could just be that I get too caught up to notice or penetration is at a different angle. Is this normal? What's going on?

Anonymous

Speaking as a mother to those girls who are scared or didn't get the response they expected or would want from their mother, we may not know what you mean. I have 5 kids, 4 of them girls and 3 on periods. One put a tampon in for first time last night without telling me. It got stuck and she did text me from bathroom but wouldn't let me help and just would get mad at me for "not helping" but wouldn't let me. I told her after 15 hrs that a trip to the dr would have to happen. I even enlisted sister help to see if collectively we could figure it out but she wouldn't let anyone in and got mad. Everyone pretty much told her that it wasn't actually stuck just that it would hurt as it was too big and dry. She finally added to her "no it is stuck" that it was stuck on skin and not come out. Her sisters and I kinda acted like the one girl's mom did, although she never saw since she was in bathroom. But we didn't know what she meant. We thought she just didn't know anything type deal. Then I thought of hymen and thankfully came across this site. She just got it out herself! But please explain more to your mom and use terms as she may have no idea what you mean. But she does care, and let her help!!

Anonymous

I have this same problem since I can remember . After I lost my virginity I still had that string, but during sex my boyfriend somehow ripped it in half. We never thought it was abnormal until I confided in my sister and she made a weird face. I am going to go to the gynecologist this week to see what is going on because I keep bleeding from it.

Anonymous

I had just started using tampons, I'm 14 and when I took my latest one out it hurt really bad I started crying lol. But the next day I checked everything out with a mirror and there is something hanging out of my vaginal opening and I think it's because of the tampon, I'm also a virgin so idk its scaring me

Anonymous

I'm also 14 and started when I was 13, I have the same problem where the tanpon gets stuck. I'm just glad that I'm not the only one ;)) I gave up using tampons!

I'm 11 and just started my period. I wAnted to go swimming, so I put in a tampon. I got it stuck on this cord like thing and I currently can't get it out. Can I cut the little cord thing?

Try using a smaller tampon ^ the pearl ones work really well. If they get stuck means its too big and isnt absorbing enough so it feels dry and painful.and gets stuck when pulling out

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Don't forget that a gynecologist can get rid of this tissue for you in just a few seconds. Just to let you know you do have options. 

Anonymous

I don't have any problems with mine other than my tampon sometimes gets "stuck" when I take it out. It's a thin piece of skin, like a cord I suppose but I can't tell it's even there at all. I would have never noticed but it did get stuck on my tampon but then I have to kinda push it out of the way I guess and then it's fine. My boyfriend has noticed this as well, I'm a virgin but I've been having a period for a while. And it doesn't hurt or anything until I try to take out my tampon but that's only sometimes. Going back to the obgyn in February so I might ask about it then. I don't even ever notice it though until I take out my tampon. Trying to see what all it could be and if it's anything to worry about.

Anonymous

Um so i also have a piece of skin covering my vagina and it's really long and it has a little hole on the middle of it. Like when the skin is pulled parallel to my legs the hole goes through it perpendicular. I haven't had my period yet but I think I will soon and I'm really scared. I dont want to use tampons because they are really scary sounding like they might get stuck. But pads wont work because i swim! Someone please just answer what the skin is. PLEASE!!

sounds like your hymen. every girl is different. if you can see the inside of your vagina, and it's attached to the inside, then it's most likey your hymen. tell your mom so she can take you to the obgyn. this happened to me, but I could still insert a tampon because it moved. the obgyn will cut it off, if that's what it is. can you insert anything up there?

How do you control your PMS?: