Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: Something like a cord in my vagina

Ever since I first got my period at 14, I have sometimes have problems with tampons seeming to get 'caught' in my vagina. I have figured out that there's a cord-like piece of flesh that stretches across my vagina that the tampon gets stuck on. I am not a virgin, and my hymen definitely broke the first time I had intercourse (there was a lot of blood) but I still occasionally have this problem. It's extremely painful and I have no idea what the 'cord' is or how to get rid of it.

I also have a second question: Sometimes when I have sex, there seems to be a wall in my vagina that blocks the penis from going very deep, and I can feel a strong and painful pressure. This doesn't always happen, but that could just be that I get too caught up to notice or penetration is at a different angle. Is this normal? What's going on?

Anonymous

Yeah, I'm going to cut it myself.....

Anonymous

Can I just cut the cord myself with a sterile pair of scissors? I'm 15 and have been having this problem for years. My parents don't believe I should be going to the gyno. I'm so sick of all this pain...

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Please do not cut this on your own. You can go to a regular doctor who can help you with this-  insist on it to your parents. You have every right to see a doctor! 

Will you update us?

Anonymous

I am 16 years old and I have just discovered this problem. I put a tampon in and I cannot get it out... I've looked down there and I can see the cord caught inside of the tampon. I will get it looked at, but I am Away right now so i just need to know how to remove the tampon with the cord stuck in it!!!!! Please help asap because the tampon has already been in for 3 hours and I have to go to sleep soon. I can't ask my mom for help because she isn't with me! How do I get it out??????? Please help I am panicking

Well, honestly. Just pull it out. I seriously just had this problem ten minutes ago. I hope you got the tampon out by now, but if it happens in the future, try different positions while pulling it out, wait a little bit longer, because three hours is not long enough to leave a tampon in, your tampon is probably still dry, hence your struggle, and frankly, you probably don't realize how light your flow actually is. But seriously, if you really want it out, just pull it out. Yeah it's gonna hurt like a bitch, but only for legit a second. And then it will be over, and you'll be proud of yourself for being strong and brave enough, to pull the damn thing out.

I'm in the exact same position someone please help

Anonymous

How much does it cost to get this procedure done?

Anon

You will have to ask a doctor or insurance company  that. Price could vary widely from place to pace or doctor to doctor. 

Anonymous

I'm 14 and a virgin. My now exand and I did something's like fingering but no actual sex.. The same thing happens to me about the cord and the tampon getting stuck. QUite painful. I'm a set so I need to use tampons often. I told my mom and she just thought I'm stressed. I figured out how to remove the tampon from the cord because it gets noted sometimes but will this affect me later in life with sex and child birth? Answers!!!

You need an evaluation by a doctor but here is the best answer we can give: 

"An article published by Yale investigators may very well explain the situation you have. It has to do with how the vagina is formed when you were an embryo and a fetus. At one point in development the entire vagina is a solid structure. Then cells grow in from the surface and hollow out the space that becomes the developed vagina. It turns out it is not unusual for the process to be incomplete. The Yale researchers found 8% of babies has a remnant strand or piece of tissue. The condition is entirely benign (i.e. nothing to worry about) but it should be corrected. Most often it doesn't show up until you start to have sex involving vaginal penetration. During sex response the vagina expands and that may be the only time when the remnant becomes a "blockage"-the rest of the time it may lie flat against the vaginal wall and not interfere with menstruation. It may not be apparent at the time of a pelvic examination unless the physician or nurse has been alerted to its' possibility. You should be examined and the remnant should be removed-that's a simple office procedure using a local anesthetic. Sometimes, if you know what you're dealing with, it may be possible for you and your partner to figure how to negotiate the remnant. But, it's probably best to have the situation corrected.

In reference to the tampon getting stuck: That's often the way the problem is first presented for medical help. The tampon gets past the strand going in but gets stuck behind it. The strands most often go from the upper wall of the vagina (or the hymen) to the lower (anterior to posterior). They are about 1/8 inch wide and about the same thickness."

Please make an appointment with your doctor! 

How do you control your PMS?: