Q: 

Something like a cord in my vagina

By Anonymous February 3, 2011 - 7:14pm

Ever since I first got my period at 14, I have sometimes have problems with tampons seeming to get 'caught' in my vagina. I have figured out that there's a cord-like piece of flesh that stretches across my vagina that the tampon gets stuck on. I am not a virgin, and my hymen definitely broke the first time I had intercourse (there was a lot of blood) but I still occasionally have this problem. It's extremely painful and I have no idea what the 'cord' is or how to get rid of it.

I also have a second question: Sometimes when I have sex, there seems to be a wall in my vagina that blocks the penis from going very deep, and I can feel a strong and painful pressure. This doesn't always happen, but that could just be that I get too caught up to notice or penetration is at a different angle. Is this normal? What's going on?

Anonymous

I have the same problem for both questions you asked. The pain you described during sex is ruining my current relationship. I have the same ‘wall’ like thing you mentioned, but it is there every time I try to have sex and it is very painful. Has anyone answered your second question yet? I need to know if this is common and how to make it go away.

So to me the flesh you describe that goes vertically over your vagina is a septate hymen if you look it up and it is what you may have then yep that is a septate hymen for ya and you say there is a wall stopping you from having intercourse that is your hymen that the dude you are with will have to break through intercourse to rid of the wall like feeling you have so basically the man has to push his penis into the wall that is the hymen enough so that it breaks wich may hurt and yes you will have to get him to break it in order to get pregnant I’m 14 and I do a lot of research on this stuff so I know what I’m talking about haha and I’m a virgin but I actually wasn’t born with a hymen I was born with a septate hymen and it seems you have both! That is very normal and I actually got my Tampon stuck on my septate hymen so I’m actually hopefully going to get my septate surgically removed hopefully if my mum says so i hope I made sense and helped you out I love helping others and knowing about the human body so thankyou.

Anonymous

It sounds like you may be describing a hymenal tag. In slang it's call a "p***ytongue". I have seen sites on tumblr dedicated to this in a porn way, definitely NSFW and over 18 only. But very instructive.

Hymenal tags are perfectly normal. If there is no pain but just a tag then you are fine and a friend may think it very sexy. If it causes pain then definitely see a doctor — but remember doctors are often ignorant of the finer points of women's bodies. Ask an experienced woman about this. Sad but true. Also, doctors are in business to charge you for a procedure like 'snipping' it off. Painful and expensive and unnecessary!!!! (Unless it really is causing pain.)

Before doing anything else I'd advise anyone over 18 to simply scroll through one of the NSFW sites and see. Lots of mainstream porn stars and amateur models and normal women have them!

F26 - hymenal tag owner

Actually i think they are actually describing a septate hymen wich is a full string that goes vertically over the vagina not a cut like string hanging down.

Anonymous

Reading these makes me feel better seeing as i have noticed this small cord like tissue since i was about 12. I'm 15 now and still scared to tell my gaurdian because i don't want them thinking i do any sort of stuff. I'm on trict enough lock down as it is, and i dont need her hating the guys i hang out with. I'm 15, still a virgin, but i noticed the first time on my tampon as well and it hurt most of the time when it got caught. i got really annoyed with it, and tried to snip it myself, but only go about half way through it because i got scared. Any advice, because i might just continue? i'm happy to hear that i'm not some f*cked up failure in this way though.

Anonymous

hey im 15 years old soon turning 16. in couple of days when i have been showering and washing my vagina i have felt this string hanging there, well ofcourse i have pulled it out everytime.. it doesnt hurt or anything to pull it off and i have no idea what it is. and yeah im not a virgin anymore and i thought i was pregnant a week ago because my period was late. But should i go to see a doctor? is it normal that white gooey strings come out of my vagina?

Anonymous

DO NOT CUT ANYTHING. Understand that that can cause infertility. If you have cut something on your own, please go see your gyno. If you have this problem with your tampon getting caught at all, please go see your gyno.

Here's my story: I have never been sexually active. Around 15 I noticed this same problem with my tampons getting caught on a band of tissue, but I was too embarrassed to tell my mom. Now at 19, I got curious. I found this thread and many others that led me to believe I had a septate hymen, leading be to look up things about septet hymens, only scaring me more. I finally broke down and told my mom two days ago and she scheduled me an appointment for the gyno today.

Now, I am home from the gyno and I feel a lot better with some reliable answers, and I want to pass along my new knowledge. First, the vaginal opening is at an angle, so at the angle you put in your tampon needs to be the same angle in which you pull it out. I asked her to specifically check for a septate hymen, and she said my hymen was perfectly normal. So what the hell is my tampon getting caught on? She explained that 1) my cervix sits low, and 2) it is my labia minora and nothing to worry about.

I am certainly not telling every woman out there that I'm right, or that you're having the same exact issue as me, just please go see your doctor. I was released when I did. I'll be posting this to more threads so more women can hear my story about this issue.

Anonymous

I'm so glad I found this, when I was maybe 12 or 13 and was experimenting with tampons, I had never been able to get in, so when i found a tamppn that was small enough I finally got it in but when I was ready to take it out it was completly blocked by this bridge of skin. I did what I considered a good decision at the time after crying on my bathroom floor for a while was to cut it. Quick and easy, a tiny but painful, it did bleed but right after it stopped. I have had sex and use tampons all the time, I think it was just a genetic mistake when my little vagina was being made. I'm so happy I'm not alone, and sounds like if I had taken it to a doctor they would have just cut it in a more medical way.

Anonymous

so um, i had sex for the first time two days ago, and he was really big. I started bleeding a good amount so he said that we should stop and get cleaned up. I went home and got a mirror to look at my bits since I was curious to see if I looked any different, as well as the fact that I felt something right near my vaginal entrance. I saw this little cord looking thing, it was numb to the touch and didn't hurt at all. I got super freaked out so I just cut it and it started bleeding profusely. I put pressure on it and it stopped bleeding, but now I can kinda see the two pieces hanging down a lil bit, and I just wanna make sure that I'm not crazy. I don't even know but I hope that it doesn't affect sex too much....

Ever since I was about 10 or 11 I've had a little piece of skin protruding from my vagina that was a little less than 1 inch long and about the width of a match and it never really bothered me it just really scared me and made me worry because I didn't know what was wrong. So finally when I was 13 and I had started my period and wanted to use tampons but I was afraid the piece of skin would get in the way and get pulled out or something terrible like that so I finally told my mom about and we went to the gynecologist and the doctor there took a quick look and just told me that some people's hymens just grow differently and that I'm perfectly healthy, it's just how my hymen decided to grow and then they removed it, a quick and easy procedure (even though they said removal was optional as long as it's not causing me problems). So I think I learned a lesson from all this that when I notice something wrong or different about my body I shouldn't be scared and try to hide it, I should tell someone and let the doctors do their job.