Sore throat on one side

By June 27, 2012 - 5:50pm

Hi about 2 weeks ago I had a sore throat on my left side, My ear felt funny too, Well on the 4th day I got some Amoxocillin I took it for 2 days cos i was feeling better, So decided to save them if It happens again, Well It did, 2 weeks later I got another sore throat on my left side and my ear felt funny again, I am now taking the rest of my amoxocillin, I am not sure whats going on.. I dont have no symptoms of being sick, or anything, It hurts to drink,swallow,eat,and talk... My throat on the outside hurts too when i lift my neck back and the left side my neck kinda feel sore where my lymphe node is.. Do you know what is causing the reacurring sore throat/ear felling funny,..? I cant afford a doctor and would really love a answer.

NEVER stop an antibiotic regimen partway! Thats the easiest way to create antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Hi misskay1980

Thanks for your post! i also get sore throats like this; they are really quite painful.It's also known as Pharyngitis.

Many things can cause pharyngitis and tonsillopharyngitis. Causes include:

• Infection with a virus, such as the viruses that cause influenza (the flu) and the common cold
  • Infection with bacteria, such as the bacteria that cause strep throat
  • Mucus from your sinuses that drains into your throat
  • Smoking
  • Breathing polluted air
  • Drinking alcoholic beverages
  • Hay fever or other allergies
  • Acid reflux from the stomach
  • Allergies
  • Food debris collecting in small pockets in the tonsils
  • Infectious mononucleosis

Treatment depends on the cause of the sore throat. Treatment options include:

• Antibiotics for strep throat
  • Drugs to reduce sore throat pain; these drugs include:
    • Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil)
    • Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
    • Aspirin (not recommended for children with a current or recent viral infection; check with your child's doctor before giving a child aspirin)
  • Numbing throat spray for pain control
  • Decongestants and antihistamines to relieve nasal congestion and runny nose
  • Vitamin C (if recommended by your doctor)
  • Throat lozenges

Home Care

• Get plenty of rest.
  • Drink plenty of water.
  • Gargle with warm salt water several times a day.
  • Drink warm liquids (tea or broth) or cool liquids.
  • Avoid irritants that might affect your throat, such as smoke from cigarettes, cigars, or pipes, and cold air.
  • Avoid drinking alcohol.

I hope this helps!