Source of warmth on chest

I was lying on my back in bed last night, meditating, and I noticed the surface of my chest felt warm. The lamp I was reading by has a shade on it and it wasn't shining directly on my chest. The thermostat in the room said the temperature was 78. The warmth seemed to be generated by my skin, and I was wearing a shirt when l was outside earlier in the day. I don't have any sunburn. Is this unusual, or is it something I just noticed because I was lying quietly and trying to be aware of what I was feeling?

78 isn't too warm for a room so it's shouldn't be an environmental issue. Perhaps since you were meditating you were more aware of your body, this can happen, as you mentioned. Body awareness in moments of silence can make us feel things we normally wouldn't notice.

Also bear in mind that we can have moments of warmth due to the food we may have eaten that day or hormonal fluctuations.

Since you don't feel this was an internal issue (like heartburn) I don't think it sound very serious but as always, if you have concerns, please mention it to your health care provider.

I didn't have anything to eat that day. And what kind of things does body awareness in moments of silence make us aware of? Is it that our bodies are always generating heat, and you're more likely to notice it when you're quietly meditating and trying to be aware of what you're feeling? Is that what you're saying?

It's probably not a good idea to not eat all day.

You presented with "Is this unusual, or is it something I just noticed because I was lying quietly and trying to be aware of what I was feeling?" and I validated that yes, this could be the case.

For example, we generally don't hear our digestive systems working all day, but when we focus, and are in tune with our bodies at work, we can hear the low-key noises. Sometimes we hear our hearts beating when all is quiet, when busy we often hear nothing.

Our bodies are changing entities. Temperatures fluctuate mildly due to environmental reasons, food, hormones, clothing, exercise...many reasons. I can't tell you why you felt what you did. I can just give suggestions.