Spotting and minor thrush after birth control change

By February 26, 2016 - 11:29am

So I changed my birth control pill from Ovranette to Ovral about last month (both are the combined pill). I've had a little spotting in the middle of my cycle, with itching around the entrance of the vagina and a slight burning when I pee. I think its a minor symptom of thrush. Is it anything to worry about? Thanks!

Hi akgupta

Yeast infections can actually be caused by birth control pills. In fact, hormones in general, can cause them.

We had a recent Ask about this, you can read it here: http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/can-consistently-stand-sections-be-caused-hormonal-imbalance

Spotting is also a side effect of changing birth control but it does not mean the effectiveness of the Pill is not as good - it is.

Some women find their bodies settle down after a while and the spotting and other side effects stop. Give yourself a few months to see if this happens. If it continues, talk to your doctor about your options.