Spotting before expected period?

By May 22, 2010 - 4:42am

Hi everyone!
I'm sure that I am just worrying about nothing, but this has never happened to me before. My period is pretty irregular, with my cycle being anywhere from 30 to 40 (or sometimes more) days. My last period was April 21, and since then I have been under a fair amount of stress- I had final exams and I flew on an airplane for the first time and by myself, along with some other things. So, it wouldn't surprise me if I just missed my period all together this month. However, I had very light, brown spotting on May 20 that lasted not even a day, and I only noticed it on the toilet paper after I used the bathroom. I've never spotted before, and when I looked it up online, it said that this happens during implantation. I've had protected sex a couple of times since my last period, but the condom always remained intact and did not slip off. I'm not completely ruling out pregnancy, but I find it very unlikely. Has this happened to anyone else, or does anyone know what could be causing this? Thanks!

Hi HappyDaisy

Some 'brown spotting' does not sound like implantation bleeding. Brown blood is old blood.

If you have had only protected sex with no breakage or leaking, then your risk of pregnancy is very low. It does sound like stress and your irregular periods are to blame here. You are not actually even late yet, if you can go 40 days or more in your cycle. The brown blood may have been a sign your period is on it's way or your body cleansing itself of old blood from previous periods.

Take a pregnancy test if you'd like reassurance (and a definite answer) or you can wait a little longer since this is a common occurrence for you.

Will you update us, HappyDaisy?