Spotting into period

By Anonymous April 30, 2015 - 9:18pm

Hi, I've been spotting for the past 5 days or so and am on birth control. I am also sexually active. In the next 2 days, I should have my period. What will happen if I continue spotting? Does that count as my period or a missed period? In addition, I would like to know what is irregular about my body. I've heard of spotting before period before but not spotting into a period.

No, 6 hours shouldn't be a problem (as long as you are not on the mini-pill (progesterone only)).  The mini pill needs to be taken on time every day. 

Spotting may just be an unfortunate side effect for you.

Spotting is not uncommon when on the Pill - some women only spot and don't get a proper "period".  How long have you been on the Pill? 

This spotting is not an indicator of the Pill not working or being pregnant - it's the body's reaction to the hormones entering your system. 

Some women switch birth control because they don't want to put up with the spotting. If you have been on birth control less than 6 months, the spotting may fade away.

Hi Susan,
I've been on the pills for more than 6 months. I'm usually on time when taking them but took them late for 1 or 2 days. However, I would always take the late pills within 6 hours after the time that I'm supposed to be taking them. I don't think that should be much of a problem?