By February 10, 2016 - 4:29pm

I just had an Pap smear and doctor called me 1 week later to say I have trichomonas. While I was there she look at a vaginal swab and said she didn't detect any bacteria?Also I haven't had intercourse in 1 and a half years. Help

Hi Jaljon

Trichomonas (often called Trich/pronounced "trick") is a very common sexually transmitted infection.

There are several ways to diagnose Trich, including testing the cell DNA, antigen tests (these look for parasites - Trich is a parasite) and vaginal fluid testing which is what I think your doctor did.

You should put a call into her again to have her or a nurse explain why you got this diagnosis. Some tests are better than others and there is always the risk of human error.

Men often don't have any symptoms of Trich, it's women who have the symptoms. Even then, some women don't have any symptoms and therefore don't know they have it. It can take a long time (many months) for a diagnosis, often coming up in a pap test.

So you may have contracted it from your last partner and not known it.

For more information, check out our detailed Trich page here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/trichomoniasis

I hope you get this cleared up soon.

I don't understand shouldn't it have shown up in my previous Pap smear?

HERWriter Guide (reply to Jaljon)

Hi again

Not necessarily, sometimes it's not tested for, sometimes it is.

But you need to discuss this with your doctor so you know for sure what's going on. We cannot help you with regard to your test results.

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Guide