stopped nuvaring early, could i be pregnant?

Hi I was on nuvaring for about 2 weeks and my boyfriend and i decided i should take it out early due to the awful side effects i was having (around the 24th). we had unprotected sex about 3 or 4 days after (on the 28th) i took it out and i havent had a period yet (i was supposed to take the ring out about a week and and a half ago and on my normal 28 day cycle, which has always been very accurate, i was due the 10th. by looking at my normal cycle i would have been due to ovulate between the 24th and the 26th. is it possible that stopping nuvaring early let me ovulate just a little late? Ive been having cramps and bloating like i would when i get my period but im not bleeding. Also my breasts are sore and seem larger. Is it possible that i could be pregnant?

Thanks for any answers

Anonymous

On Nuva Ring. Normal Period is always 9th/10th of month. In September I had my normal period. Then on September 28th, i started bleeding again. Every now and then on the Nuva Ring I will bleed randomly so I didnt give it too much thought......then I went to take it out on Oct 6th, and it wasnt there.....so that would mean I had to lose it around Sept 26th ish....all the while My husband and I have unprotected sex.....Would this mean we have a high possibilty of pregnancy?....When should I out a new one in, or should I wait for my cycle to come back around on its own?

If your ring discharged, pregnancy is possible. It's advisable to have a check up to make sure the ring has exited your body. Contact your health care professional for this and you can take a pregnancy test if you don't see your period in the next week.

Anonymous

Hi-I was on Nuva ring for 2 cycles. Normally would have my period the 9th/10th of month. I was bothered by the ring so I took it out on the 26th of the month. I did have a period when I took it out, the period started on the 28th and lasted 4 or 5 days. Now I have been feeling nauseated and tired. Is there a chance I could have ovulated and got pregnant? Or would I have to be off the ring for an entire cycle?

It's possible to ovulate about 10-18 days after your bleeding. Which means if you had sex in the past week, a very early pregnancy could be possible. You will need to wait about another week to test.

Anonymous

i was wondering the same thing. i took the nuvaring out on may 24. got a heavy period may 27. my boyfriend and i have been having unprotected sex. i was supposed to get my period i believe june 23. 3 days later and no period. can stopping the nuvaring make you late? i could be pregnant

Anonymous

Well i was on it for 2 months and i just stopped using it. me and my husband want to have another kid. At the last period i didn't put a new one back in and was wondering what the % of being pregnant this month is? i used the dollar store one just because i didnt have enough money on me at that time. they both said that it was neg. I took the ring out March 20th 2010 and started on the 23 of March. now It's april19th and nothing. from my period in feb to the period in march that was about 26 days and i took a test on 18 and 19th of april and both said no. does ne one know how well they work? I have heard lots of yes they work and alot of no they dont work. If someone could shed some light on my situation that wuld be great.
Thanks alot

(reply to Anonymous)

Anon,

All pregnancy tests work the same way, by detecting amounts of the pregnancy hormone (HCG) in your urine. If it's there in high enough quantities, the dollar store type of pregnancy test will work just fine. From what you say, it sounds like your body may be a little off now that it adjusts to not having the NuvaRing in. It's very common for our bodies to react to starting and stopping hormones with an irregular cycle or two.

It's been a few days since you wrote, have you gotten your period yet?

It is possible that you are pregnant. Anytime a woman has unprotected sex, the risk of pregnancy is raised.

If you are late for your period already, it's a good idea to take a pregnancy test. If it is negative, it may mean your cycle is irregular due to removing your ring early. Your period should resume it's regularity on your next cycle.

So take a test to ease your mind. Will you update us?

ok so i took a test last night and it was negative. but i still think it might be too early b/c im pretty sure i ovulated late. im gonna try again wen. morning. thanks!

(reply to Anonymous)

Actually, women who use hormonal contraception (pill, ring, etc) do not ovulate, so the best time to take a home pregnancy test when you are unsure about when your period should begin would be no earlier than 14 days after sex.

The ring (and pill, etc) work by preventing ovulation, changing uterine lining and changing cervical mucus...all with the intent to prevent sperm from entering the uterus, the egg from being released and/or from a fertilized egg from implanting.

You will need to wait about 14 days after sex because it actually can take that long to technically become pregnant! Since the ring, patch, pill, etc. are not 100% effective, there is a small chance that women could ovulate while on hormonal contraception. IF you did ovulate, have sex, the sperm fertilized the egg, the fertilized egg implanted, etc...this all takes time for the egg to travel from fallopian tubes to uterus and other processes...and can take 10-14 days after sex before the fertilized egg implants, and thus a home pregnancy test would then detect the "pregnancy hormones".

Not sure if that was too much information, but just wanted you to know the "why" behind the answer!