Stories of cryptic pregnancies online?

So I've had the misfortune to stumble across these cryptic pregnancy posts on forums usually something along the lines of no symptoms of being pregnant until the child was delivered, getting period all the way through etc.

And as a paranoid person who can't conveniently get pregnancy tests, so having to rely on spotting symptoms and getting my period, this worries me quite a bit.

I was wondering if they are just a load of rubbish written just for the fun or whatever and whether this is actually a genuine thing that happens.
What are your thoughts?

We speak with a lot of women dealing with severe paranoia about pregnancy, even when they haven't had sex. They also tend to think they can get pregnant by (invisible) sperm in showers, toilets, even toilet paper or door handles. This is a symptom of anxiety or other mental illnesses (obsession disorders), not pregnancy.

It's possible for some women to not know they are pregnant. It's rare but possible. This is real cryptic pregnancy. Sometimes these women have irregular/no periods anyway and are very heavy so don't see a baby growing from within. Therefore they take no tests or scans and don't get prenatal care.

But bear in mind this is very rare. I have seen shows of it on TV but have never known someone that this happened to, nor have I ever heard of anyone who has experienced this.

Here's the deal on regular periods during pregnancy - they can't happen. A period is the remains of the thickened lining in the uterus. Losing this would also mean losing a baby and it also means a woman is ovulating - this cannot happen in pregnancy. While women can bleed in pregnancy, they don't have regular menstrual periods.

There are a few websites out there that accept and encourage cryptic pregnancies in the sense that I think you're talking about, even if women are convinced they have been carrying a baby for years. Some sites inform women it could take four of five years for the pregnancy to end and to give birth and tell women the doctors are lying and cannot be trusted. Nor can scans.

They encourage "hyponotic births" - almost like getting the baby out of your head even if it's not in the body. These websites and forums, in my opinion, are very dangerous and don't promote proper care and treatment for women who have convinced themselves they're pregnant even when there is no baby at all.

My advice is to stay away from these forums and sites. I also encourage you to look into therapy for your situation. I think we've helped you on this before and I think you may be convincing yourself that you are pregnant. Pregnancy tests aren't going to convince you either way but therapy may be able to.

Good luck to you,

Please do not say something unless you know for sure. I am pregnant and have a heavy cycle each month, just like the Cryptic Pregnancy explains. Susan , please google cryptic pregnancy and find out more.