ask: Sudden change in menstrual cycle: heavy to extremely light.

By Anonymous February 12, 2013 - 9:06pm

I'm 18. I've been getting my period since I was 10. For as long as I can remember, my periods have been about 5 or 6 days and extremely heavy. By heavy, I mean that I have to change my pad every 3 or 4 hours for the first 4 days or so, otherwise I bleed through it. The cycle I'm experiencing now, as well as the one last month, were extremely light. Like barely nothing on the pad at all, less than half of my normal flow. I was wondering whether I should be concerned about this or not.

As far as I know, nothing has really changed in my life. I've been eating regularly, my weight is healthy and hasn't changed in the past 4 months or so, my exercising habits haven't changed, and my stress level is the same as it's always been. I am not currently on any birth control, nor have I ever been.
Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to EmpowHER.  Irregular and missed periods at your age can be common.  Hormonal imbalance can be part of the cause, but many other things can as well.  It's important to let your doctor know about these changes. 

How much money annually do you spend on health and wellness products?: