Reproductive System

Reproductive System Guide

ask: Switching birth control pills

By tee_mik

Hi. I recently switched from Portia to Kariva birth control. I am on my third week of Kariva. With my last Portia pack, my period was on time, normal (for me) and typical. However, I have had breakthrough bleeding for five days now. Not really heavy, but steady. I have also been cramping slightly. Is this normal?

tee_mik

Yes, I started my new pack when I finished my old one. I think my new one has less hormones and a different type? It's enough that I need a pad, but lighter than my normal period. Thanks!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to tee_mik)

Hi tee_mik

It sounds like you are experiencing spotting from the hormonal changes but put a call into your doctor to make sure this is normal - just in case.

Good luck and thanks for writing to us!

~Susan

Hi tee_mik

I assume you finished your old pills as usual and started the new brand as instructed? Do they contain the same active ingredients (hormones)?

If so, I'm not sure why you would be having breakthrough bleeding like this. You should be protected from pregnancy but perhaps this brand has spotting and breakthrough as a side effect. How much bleeding are you experiencing? Are you spotting or it is enough that you need a tampon or thick pad?

If it's significant bleeding, you need to put a call into your doctor. If not, check to see if spotting is a side effect, especially when a woman is new to the brand.

~Susan

How do you control your PMS?: