Breast Pain

Breast Pain Guide

ask: Swollen white gland on nipple?

Tonight as I was getting ready for bed, I noticed a sharp pain in my left nipple as I was taking my shirt and bra off. Looking at the nipple, there is a white swollen gland(maybe? I don't know what it's called, but it's those individual dots that make up the nipple) in the middle standing out father than the rest. I also started my period today if that helps with your search. I've never had problems nor any pain with breasts or nipples before so it's a little concerning to me.

Anonymous

Hi, I am an 18 year old female that never had real breast pain. Not even during that time of the month. I recently got off of the Depo shot and didn't have a real period. Well at the beginning of August I noticed that both nipples seemed a little sore. Especially in the very center. I thought it was just hormones from the Depo, but it continues to get worse. Now they are tender, swollen and never "go in." I look like I'm cold 24/7. The E.R. said they look irratated but do not have the proper equipment to examine the problem. I wonder if I'm pregnant but not showing in any tests. If you can email me back I would love to get a second opinion about this matter.

Christine Jeffries

It is not uncommon for the breast area to get pimple-like infections, and blocked milk ducts. The areola (darker skin around your nipple), is just like any other skin on your body. The ducts or gland of the areola (Montgomery glands) also can become infected, or develop cysts. Breast pain also can occur with changes in hormones--note when you get this pain, and what time of your menstrual cycle it is happening at to see if there is a pattern.
If you experience the following symptoms, contact your doctor immediately:
-Both breasts are affected.
-The nipple looks infected, and there is a pus or blood discharge.
-Your fever shoots up to over 101, especially if symptoms came on suddenly.
-There are angry looking red streaks near the sore area
-You have tried the suggestions above for treating plugged ducts for 24 hours, and symptoms worsen instead of improve.
Please note that your breast tissue is very delicate, and picking at it may bruise it. If the condition doesn't clear up and persists, you may want to call your doctor to get it checked out.
Good luck and let us know how you are doing.