Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis

By March 28, 2008 - 9:14am

MS typically strikes between 20 and 40 and the initial symptom, according to the National Institute of Health is double vision, red-green color distortion or even blindness in one eye.

Other symptoms include:

Muscle weakness;
Difficulty with coordination and balance;
Prickling sensation;
Speech impediments;
Hearing loss

Half of the people with MS also cognitive difficulties with:

Memory and
Poor judgment;

Some may also experience depression.

March is MS Awarenss month.

We love to hear from people who have been diagnosed with MS or are anxious about any symptoms they are experiencing. If you are living with MS, are you taking medication? Have alternative treatments worked? How is your diagnosis affecting your life?

For further details, visit http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/multiple_sclerosis/multiple_sclerosis...

Dear Anon

Thanks for your post and welcome to Empowher!

You can certainly ask to be tested for this. From our Encyclopedia :

The doctor will ask about your symptoms and medical history, and perform a physical exam.

Tests may include:

◦MRI scan —a type of machine that uses a magnetic field, radio waves, and a computer to check for damage to the myelin sheath of the nerves in the brain and spinal cord
◦Evoked potentials—a test that records the electrical responses evoked after a sensory stimulus
◦Lumbar puncture (spinal tap)—removal of a small amount of fluid from around the spinal cord to check for white blood cells, antibodies, and proteins

Anon, please don't panic! I know it's very scary having symptoms and tons of unanswered questions but we'll try our best to guide you in the right direction.

Anon, when you say you had blood tests and an ultra sound, do you know what they were looking for? Have you been tested for allergies and conditions like lactose intolerance or celiac (coeliac) disease? What has your doctor told you?

a few months ago i started to have vision problems, eg. stars in my vision then loss of sight in 1 eye. following that a migraine and speech problems and coordination. since then i have had abominal pain on 1 side with pain going through into my lower back. i found working or even walking aroung the block would set the pain off in my stomach and back, my stomach swells up making me look like im 7mnths pregnant this has been happening for the last few months now. i am very constipated and often have problems with my bladder. all blood test and ultra sound scans have been fine. do you think i should be tested for m.s? or would the blood tests show sumthing. please help me im at my witts end!

Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis Guide