Is taking 2 different emergency contraceptives in a 2 week span bad and what are the chances of pregnancy ?

By October 11, 2015 - 12:42pm

Hi. I'm a 20 year old female who had unprotected sex days after my period on September 23 & took the Plan B on the 24th. About 5 days later I bled heavily for about 3 or 4 days. Is this normal or is this implantation bleeding.
Again I had unprotected sex on October 7 and took Next Choice One Dose on the 8th. According to my period app, I was ovulating on October 4th and suppose to get my period on October 18th. I heard that EC's can delay your period but I want to know when should I be concerned of how late it's going to be and when I should take a pregnancy test. Also what would be some side effects I should expect with taking 2 EC's ?

Thank you so much. Since taking these pills in a two week span, what do you think are my chances of being pregnant ?

HERWriter Guide (reply to Geliza)

Hi again!

I hesitate in answering anyone that question because when you think about it, how could I know?

But since the success rate of emergency contraception is so high when taken within 24 hours that I think it's safe to say your risk is really quite low.

Hi Geliza!

The E in EC stands for "emergency". You are using it as a method of birth control which is not what it's made for . Side effects can include nausea, bleeding and an irregular cycle. Use condoms, they are cheap and hormone free.

Your period tracker will be void for about the next month since your cycle may include extra bleeding (side effect of EC). A pregnancy test should be accurate about 21 days after the last time you had unprotected sex.

You need to read the side effects on the paperwork that comes with the medications you are taking so you know what to expect.