Taking cymbalta while breastfeeding

By December 14, 2009 - 10:29am

I recently went in for my depression and they prescribed cymbalta. Should I stop nursing? I planned on nursing until she was six months she will be four months on January 2nd.

Hi cheersarp2001 - One of the best treatments for depression is exercise which you may not have considered. There are also several natural remedies you may want to discuss with your doctor. You can learn more about these options from the link below. Thanks for writing, and for your compliment! Pat

Yes and he advised I stop breastfeeding but Im not ready to do so. I will just hold off and deal with the depression until she is closer to 6 months. She is almost 4 months so another month wont kill me I just wish there were something okay to take. Thanks for the help with all my questions you guys have been amazing. I refer everyone to this site now :)

Dear cheersarp2001

Thank you so much for your post and I am so glad to see you are getting treated for your depression. Good for you for looking out for yourself this way!

Because the effects of this medication are not known (in terms of nursing) it's generally advised to avoid breastfeeding while using it.

This medication may enter the breast milk and thereby enter the baby's system. The manufacturer says to talk to your doctor before taking it and then breastfeeding. Most manufacturers of medications like these advise against breastfeeding because the side effects to the baby are unknown (most will not do clinical trials on a pregnant or lactating woman in this arena) to protect themselves from lawsuits and due to the unknown factors.

Do remember that unless your doctor has also done research or been involved in clinical trials himself, the only thing most doctors know about this medication is what they read on the manufacturer's information packets.

Have you spoken to your doctor about taking this medication while breastfeeding?