terrfied of pregnancy

By May 16, 2009 - 2:45am

Hi, I'm 19 and absolutely terrified of being pregnant!
Im now in day 32 of what usually is a 28 day cycle, although the last few months seem to have been 29 days. I had sex on about the 22nd,23rd and 25th days of my cycle but all using plenty of protection so I don't understand what could have happened. Is there a chance it could be stress or am i likely to be pregnant? owwwh!

Hi Scared

You could be late due to stress or just due to a rather unpredictable cycle.

Having sex on days 22, 23 and 25 would tend be on the days after ovulation but if you ovulate late (the average time is on or near day 14 but this is not even remotely set in stone!) then you could possibly get pregnant since sperm can stay alive in a woman's body for up to 72 hours. So if you ovulated late - on day 19 for example, then it would be very possible to get pregnant from having sex on day 22.

I would tend to think it's unlikely if you are normally fairly regular in your cycle but anything can happen - women get pregnant every day, despite birth control or ovulation calendars or even age!

Your best bet is to go ahead and take a pregnancy test; it will ease you mind or let you get the ball rolling in terms of what you wish to do if you are pregnant. Will you let us know the result? I hope you get a negative result; I understand how terrifying it can be to hope you're not pregnant.

What kind of birth control do you use?

thankyou for your reply, it made my head a bit clearer!

i use condoms, which seem to be pretty good, but I'm thinking of get tting an implant soon as a more safe precaution, as ive heard theyre good?

I did a test which came out negative which made me feel a bit better, but am now on day 33 so I'm stil a bit freaked out, I'll keep waiting!